Sony KV-32FS320 - Weird problem

Hello, I have a Sony KV-32FS320 which is about 2yrs old now. Of late I have noticed a strange problem. Once in a while I will notice a flicker in the whole picture. Now this "flicker" is not exactly noticable at all, however I have noticed it a couple of times at different occassions. It sometimes happens when I'm watching a DVD or even just TV. So I'm thinking it might have to do with power. I have a basic power strip connected to it. But thats what I had my thoughts on. Any ideas? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Reply to
snalion

If it's not an external (wall outlet or strip) supply problem, it's probably arcing.

To check for arcing, turn the room lights off and the volume all the way down. Watch through the TV's vent holes. You should see a brief, blue, electrical discharge when the screen flickers. It'll also most likely be audible to persons with healthy ears.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

If it is power, then it is in the walls or related to utility service. There is no power strip that is going to 'solve' that problem. However the list of suspects is long including antenna reception or cable TV interference, an internal TV problem, or problem unique to one station.

A flicker does not tell us much. An intermittent blanking of the screen? Sudden appearance of snow? Loss of both picture and sound? The verticle flips once - veticle hold (internally) required adjustment. Failure of cable TV provider to properly earth cable to electrical earth ground before it enters the building is just another of a long list of possible problems. Or a wire in some wall receptacle that is loose because it was pushed in the back and not wrapped around the screw.

The number of reas> I have a Sony KV-32FS320 which is about 2yrs old now. Of late I have

Reply to
w_tom

Since the OP said it occurs sometimes when watching a DVD, and assuming the DVD player isn't feeding the antenna input via RF modulator, we can rule out the tuner and station as suspects. It's less likely an antenna cable, either, for that matter.

The cause could, of course, be as simple as cold solder joints acting up sporadically -- usually easily replicated by thumping, tapping, bumping or shaking the set (certainly the pcb directly).

The OP might try connecting it directly to a different outlet to rule out the one in question -- if it happens on all outlets, it's almost certainly either the mains supply or the TV.

As for cleaner power, a "basic under $5" model aint gonna cut it. There are much better alternatives which condition the line supply by filtering noise and clamping surge/spike transients.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts