JVC BR-S611U - load ok, tape not retracted on eject, no play/ff/rw

The patient is a JVC BR-S611U. This is an old professional SVHS edit VCR. It loads okay, and positions the tape in the "half loaded" position. No response to play, fast forward, or rewind. On eject, the tape is not retracted back into the cassette. Using an empty cassette shell, I can see that there's never any movement of the supply or take-up reels.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? This went to a shop, which claimed there was a power supply problem and the deck was not worth repairing. The owner is a friend of mine and asked me to have a look at it.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Hi David...I have had patients with a similar problem. This sounds like either a power supply issue or a mode switch issue. As you have seen, there are many fuses in the power supply, and I assume you have checked that they are not only working, but also that they are of the correct rating. If so, the best way to rule out a power supply issue is to swap in another power supply board if you can get access to another machine. In my opinion, the Achilles heel of both the BR-S811U and BR-S611U is the mode switch. It is very sensitive to correct positioning, and if the unit gets knocked, the machine will half-load, then give an error signal (like error 32) and eject the tape. The switch is under the transport and is a small board held in place with one screw. Hope that is of some help.

Reply to
VCR Gymnast

Yes, I've checked them. I'm not sure what the correct test point voltages are, though, so I can't verify anything else about the power supply.

Hmm! We might be on to something here. I'm getting warning code 72 when I load a tape. I didn't include this information in the original post because I hadn't realized this deck had a warning code display at the time. Is there a reference somewhere for what these codes mean?

Reply to
David Brodbeck

the

cassette

Check/ clean /replace Mode switch. almost sure to be that. IC protector on drum motor ic has caused me the occasional problem in jvcs.

-Ben

I'm having a little trouble finding the mode switch. VCR Gymnast said it's a small board under the transport, secured with a single screw. I'm looking at the underside of the transport, and I'm not sure where it is. I see a small, vertically mounted board, just forward of the drum motor, with two microswitches on it and a three-conductor cable...is that what I'm looking for?

Reply to
David Brodbeck

That is it!! See if the microswitches are being properly activated. I will let you know what error 72 is, but it will probably go away once the mode switch is operating correctly.

Reply to
VCR Gymnast

The one closest to the bottom of the VCR (i.e., farthest from the transport) is actuating fine, and checks out electrically. It's not clear to me when the one above it is supposed to actuate. It never moves, and I can't seem to spot the lever that's supposed to move it.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

I know what you mean. I suggest to loosen the screw just enough so you can rotate the board slightly counterclockwise (I think). After each small rotation, try to re-insert the cassette. The second microswitch gets activated during the full load, which is why you haven't seen its action yet. Keep posting on your progress.

Reply to
VCR Gymnast

No luck, I'm afraid. No matter how I position it, I still get either warning 72 or warning 73. I noticed the switches were a bit loose on their bracket, and removed the switch assembly to tighten them, but when I reinstalled it and tried adjusting it again I still got the same results. I checked the switches, and electrically they seem to work fine.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Hmmm....OK, I will get back to you tomorrow about what the warning codes mean. Just to be sure I have it right, is the machine making any progress beyond half-load? If not, it may be that these warnings have to do with reel motors or the drum motors failing to start.

Reply to
VCR Gymnast

No, it doesn't.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

OK, here is some information that promises to be useful:

Warning 72 and 73: In the unloading state, these warnings are caused when reel motor rotation stops for ~2 seconds and there is no output of reel frequency generator (FG) pulse. In the loading state, they are due to no output of reel FG pulses while 14 capstan pulses are counted. Warning 72 relates to no supply reel FG (Pin 33B of CN1 on the system control board) while warning 73 relates to no take-up reel FG (Pin 34B of CN1).

The corresponding Test Point (TP) voltages on Servo board 2 are TP7 for the supply reel and TP9 for the take-up reel. Both should measure 6.00 VDC.

To check the power supply regulator board, here are the TP voltages that should be present: TP1: +11.7 +/- 0.3 VDC TP2: +9.0 +/- 0.3 VDC TP3: +5.1 +/- 0.2 VDC TP4: +5.1 +/- 0.2 VDC TP5: -14.0 +/- 1.0 VDC TP6: +10.3 +/- 0.5 VDC TP7: +16.5 +/- 1.0 VDC TP8: +18.0 +/- 1.0 VDC TP9: +12.0 +/- 0.4 VDC TP10: +15.0 +/- 0.4 VDC

Are all these signals present at the proper level?

Reply to
VCR Gymnast

I've got 0.10V for both.

I've only got 0.87VDC.

0.04VDC.

TP3-TP9 are all in spec.

-0.003V.

Looks like I've got a power supply issue, all right. At least it's a linear supply instead of a switcher, from the looks of things. At this point it would be nice to have access to a schematic; I'm guessing TP1, TP2, and TP10 are all derived from a common source voltage, somewhere.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Yes, in my experience with these decks, it is almost always the regulator board. I can scan and e-mail you the schematic of the power supply/regulator board tomorrow. In the meantime, I suggest you take the board out (there are about 20 cables to disconnect. Once the board is out, I would recheck all the fuses on that board, and any other fuses you see on the board next to it.

Reply to
VCR Gymnast

Okay, great. I really appreciate all your help.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

David...I need your e-mail so I can send you an attachment...

Reply to
VCR Gymnast

It turned out that the problem here was a cold solder joint on one of the connectors on the Regulator (power supply) board. Now fixed and working well. Case closed.

Reply to
VCR Gymnast