Sony 10" KV-10FMR20 Video fadeing in and out intermittently

Mother in law has a Sony KV-10FMR20, a little 10" (?) CRT set with an integrated FM radio (big speaker).

The video will fade out after awhile (the screen is blank like the set's off). Sound still works, and the video sometimes fades back in.

Always works when I turn it on. Before I get out the hair dryer, does anyone recognize a well known problem ?

Reply to
son in law

you will need to re solder the crt socket on this monitor . it is a very common problem .

Reply to
bby

crt heater connections, look at:

-crt neckboard and -where thosde cables join the mainboard. resolder. should be that simple. if youre not good with a soldering iron, get it to a tech, who ought to take a few minutes only to do that job,

-b.

you will need to re soldered the crt socket on this monitor . it is a very common problem.

Reply to
bby

a thousand thanks you guys. i can handle the soldering.

nasa wouldn't hire me but I'll get the job done.

it's so old though, I hope it doesn't spring a leak in it's balloon ;)

was looking around, and didn't see much to replace it with quality wise. these were nice little sets for the kitchen as they had great picture and sound quality for a little 10" crt.

Thanks again.

Reply to
son in law

hmmm... I wonder if the big bass boosted speaker on top of the unit causes the failures in the solder joints on the neck circuit board due to vibrations.

well it certainly took a while for this one to go.

thanks again.

Reply to
son in law

Worked great. Thanks again.