Outdoors TV

Jeff Dieterle ha escrito:

In order to explain the deaths of the sets I think you need to provide more info on the sort of conditions (humidity? heat? great changes in ambient temp? , etc.) for these reasons, storing appliances outside is never a good idea in general. There is little you can do apart from not switching the set on when moved from one place to another until it has adjusted to the ambient temp in case of condensation. There' s nothing you can do to seal them, as they would overheat if the heat gets trapped , i.e. if ventilation slots are blocked.

-B.

I live in northern Indiana and have a sheltered outside bar with a 19" TV. They seem to last a couple of years before they crap out. Sometimes violently sometimes go out with a fizzle. Is there anything I can do to protect the TV from an early demise. I was wondering about opening the case and using some type of spray sealer to protect the components, or if the conventional picture tube TV is the wrong choice. I use these because I'm only out about 75$ when it dies.

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

The failure modes can be everything you've stated. I wasn't considering blocking the vents, more along the lines of the way a marine radio is constructed, all the circuit boards are sealed against moisture, temp changes etc. I don't move the TV, on it's perch in 90dg+ summer days and -0dg winter weather,rain, snow. I know this is not acceptable conditions but at 75 bucks a pop for a few years of several I'm willing to take the loss. I was just asking if there is a way I can make the TV more reliable.

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

Some component suppliers (like Maplin in the UK) sell silicone grease in an aerosol can, Maplin do one with added PTFE, these sprays are water repellent and non flammable (once the solvent propellant has evaporated). One disadvantage of these sprays is they remain slightly sticky and collect dust - which can cause tracking over in high voltage parts!

Reply to
ian field

You're probably looking for conformal coating. It's a coating (usually sprayed on, but might also be dipped or brushed) that covers the circuit board and components, sealing them from moisture, fungus, condensation, etc. Here's a link to the typical spray:

The spray is easier to apply to large areas, but the brush-on variety is good for spot coverage.

You might be able to find it cheaper by Googling for it. To use it, disconnect the TV from power source, open the TV and discharge all power supply components INCLUDING the CRT HV connection. Using a long paint brush or low pressure air, clean off all of the dust that might be on the board and components. Mask off any heat sinks with masking tape. Spray the conformal coating onto the bottom and top of the circuit board, making sure to cover any exposed component leads and connections. Might not hurt to spray the HV lead too, but be sure that you don't get any spray into the CRT anode socket.

HTH,

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Reply to
DaveM

Thanks, at 15$ a can that is worth a try.

Jeff Dieterle