HDMI problem on RP JVC

I have a JVC rear projection tv that I bought second hand a little over a year ago. It works fine except for the HDMI input. When I plug it into my cable box and switch to the digital input, it can't detect anything (and says it's gonna turn off in 9 minutes if nothing is connected before then :)). However, if I plug in my computer via a dvi/hdmi cable, the tv still doesn't detect a connection, but the computer recognizes the tv for the model number that it is. There is no setting in the tv that can affect the input, from what I can find (and I went over all the menus multiple times).

Any ideas on what might be causing this? If it's an electrical problem, is it worth my time to get an electronic technician to fix it?

Jordan

Reply to
jordo

Dunno if it's any help, but my Sagem DLP detects any of the many inputs coming alive and switches out of standby - except the digital one which in this case is a DVI type.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've checked all of my inputs while the HDMI is plugged in, but it doesn't show up anywhere. I was reading on some forums that the HDMI can be disabled by various things and that it can be re-enabled by doing a "system" check in the service menu (and it gives the steps to do that). However, I cannot find the steps to get INTO the service menu!

Reply to
jordo

Wonder if it's tied in to a component input which could be either component or RGB? My sat receiver is like that. Select RGB and you loose the upscaling, etc.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does the output of the cable box match the resolution capabilities of the tv? If the box is set to 1080p and the tv won't do over 1080i then it may give you these symptoms. This is probably not the case but was worth mentioning.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Has the TV ever been serviced? I've heard that some Pioneer TVs are booby trapped so that if the set it plugged in with the back cover removed, it disables the HDMI input. They are worried that you might be trying to steal Hollywood movies. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I said Pioneer, but I meant to say JVC. Both companies have made booby trapped sets. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Yeah, I read about that happening with my system. I don't know that it's been serviced before since I got it second-hand. I'm thinking that might be the case and can reset it, but only if I can get into the "service menu", which I can't get into because I have no idea how to. :) I've looked online to try to find out how, but no luck so far. :S

Reply to
jordo

For whatever you are feeding to the HDMI port on your projection TV set, make sure that its resolution setting is within the range of the set. If it is out of range, the set will act as if there was no response.

I have also seen a failed HDMI port on some equipment react in a similar way that you are describing. But, first investigate properly before coming to any conclusions.

--

JANA _____

Any ideas on what might be causing this? If it's an electrical problem, is it worth my time to get an electronic technician to fix it?

Jordan

Reply to
JANA

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:00:03 GMT, jordo put finger to keyboard and composed:

To recognise the TV, the computer only needs to be able to read the TV's EDID EEPROM via the DDC pins in the cable (pins 6,7,14,15):

I have managed to read a powered-down monitor's EDID EEPROM using my device programmer. I made a VGA DB15-to-DIP8 adapter cable and told the programmer that it was connected to an Atmel AT24C21 serial EEPROM which has a "DDC1/ DDC2 Interface Compliant for Monitor Identification".

You can find the EDID in the registry at the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MONITOR

If you export that key to a .reg file, you will see the EDID EEPROM data. Analysing the EDID will tell you what scan rates the TV supports. FWIW, if you post your EDID here, I may be able to analyse the data for you.

BTW, if you want someone to help you, it would help them if you would indicate the TV's model number.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks for the info, Franc. I'll hook up the computer again to the tv to get the registry info for you. The TV is a JVC AV8P575.

Reply to
jordo

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:55:44 GMT, jordo put finger to keyboard and composed:

Page 68 of the user manual ...

... states that ...

"The Digital-In [HDMI] terminal is not compatible with picture signals of a personal computer."

I'd try a HDMI equipped DVD player.

In any case it still might be interesting to see what the EDID EEPROM contains.

BTW, I believe your model is AV48P575, not AV8P575.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Hi Franc,

Yes, my model is the 48" version. My keyboard is on the way out and sometimes keys don't work..:)

I knew that it wasnt supposed to hook up via PC, but it was the only other option I had. I have also tried to hook up my cable box, but no success.

Reply to
jordo

What "cable box" and what operating system on the "cable box" ?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Eastlink HD box. Model number Motorola DCT6416 III

Reply to
jordo

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:55:44 GMT, jordo put finger to keyboard and composed:

By way of example, here are the EDIDs for my LG 32LC7D TV:

The phoenix.exe utility analyses the EDID .dat files. Switch off read-only mode for a better view of the data.

Phoenix.exe sometimes hangs on my Win98SE box. I don't know if this problem occurs in other Windows versions.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

It's possible that the cable company has HDMI disabled for some reason. It's also possible there is a HDCP compatibility problem between the cable box and the TV. Even in my own home, I've had several situations where a particular HDMI source just wouldn't work with a certain display. HDCP is well known for having bugs. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

When the technician first came to hook up the box, he attempted to hook it up via HDMI and called back to the main place to make sure HDMI was enabled on the box. When it wouldn't work, we just went with component which worked right away...

Reply to
jordo

Hi again Franc,

I don't have a registry key called Enum under HKLM...I'm using Vista, btw...that probably would've helped, eh? :)

Reply to
jordo

I hope you are aware that JVC booby-traped the DVI modue in this set to avoid tampering. If you remove the back without taking precautions say bye to your digital input. See:

Steve

Reply to
Steve