Can an HDTV be fixed at home?

I think I'll buy a (plasma) HDTV soon.

I have fixed my 20-year old Panasonic several times over its lifetime (typically capacitors, etc.that I've learned about here), but will I be able to fix an HDTV?

I'm competant with scopes, DVMs, soldering and the like but if new TVs are made like the computers I work on, the repair philosophy is "replace the board" and my experience is not valuable then.

What do shops do now? Do they just replace the defective board like a computer motherboard or troubleshoot the problem to the part? Are the devices surface mounted that prohibits their replacement or can devices be easily replaced?

I typically don't take the "extended warranties" but in this case, is it worth it?

Finally, do you think I would be able to buy service info like I got for my Panasonic?

It's a different (service) world these days.

TIA Mike

Yes it is probably worth while to buy the extended warranty, plus you want to make sure you homeowners insurance covers accidental damage to the unit.

The units are board level repair plus some adjustments. Manufactures typically will only sell the boards to authorized servicers. Some use special computer interfaces and software to perform adjustments. Schematics are typically block diagrams with test points, sometimes a power supply schematic is provided.

Some of the circuitry is now etched right onto the plasma panel and if there is a problem with a row driver, the unit is pretty much not cost effective to repair as the whole panel would need replaced.

There are several things you can do that will improve the quality life of your unit.

  1. Keep the unit on good clean stable power. No el-cheapo UPS power. A properly installed whole house surge protection and filter or one just on the circuit at the main circuit breaker box. Proper grounding off all outlets and equipment is always important.
  2. Keep it cool. They generate a lot of heat and the cooling vents must be kept clear and the unit kept at normal room temperature.
  3. No graphics or static images. Screen burn can happen very quickly on a plasma monitor due to the way they excite the phosphor.
Reply to
dkuhajda

Because of the type of technology employed, you will not be able to do much in the way of repairs. These sets are serviced mainly at the board level only. The proper setup is required for many of the service adjustments. Service manuals are mainly block diagrams.

I would strongly suggest a service contract for this type of set. If there are problems after the warrenty runs out, it can be very expensive to service.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

No support for HDTV. No service manuals, all special order. No parts, all special order. Wonderful new technolology, isn't it? A month to order the manual, another month to order any part. Gotta love it, great new shit here. Shit being the key word.

Reply to
RonKZ650

Just to clarify on HDTV. Replace the entire board? Either not available or $1000. Replace the individual IC or any other part? 1 month special order. Not fixed? well reorder another part and wait another month. This is by far the greatest thing that's ever been introdused to the general public ever. Gotta love this crap, Nope. Being in the repair business, I'll have to say HDTV is the end of the road here.

Reply to
RonKZ650

True with some, not true with others. More sets are becoming board level repairable only to a greater degree and may have no support, but others do.

The OP should ask a specific question on a specific product and someone can give a meaningful answer. Generalizing gets results like the post above.

Sorry you are so bitter about the business, RonKZ650, but there are opportunities out there if you are willing to adapt to the market...

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I know where he is coming from. Look at the influx of no name Chinese OEM'ed LCD Plasma TV's now. You think you got a chance in hell of ever getting parts for those? YOU might get lucky on a few, But for the most part there un fixable. And even the RPTV. WHat will the bulb supply be in 5 or 10 years? How much if available at all? The future will tell how long the optical engines will last. Those little DMD mirrors are only rated for so many operations. And the dye color filters in front of LCD's can fade and wear out too. For the most part, the optical engines are depot repair.

The gravy years of fixing VCR's is over. Sure, there are still some fixable items, but its getting less and less. The biggest growth industry will be the disposal or CRT based displays after flat panels take over and the US HDTV transition takes place in 2009 (?).

Hell, i tried to fix some factory ford radios from 2003 last month. Think i could get parts? Had to buy Ebay cores to fix them. Scavengers are going to be the successes of the future. That's if you got the space and the patience.

BOB nse

Bob Urz

I don't have much experience with plasmas, but for other types of HDTVs a lot of those same old problems still apply. I still see a lot of sets with things like bad soldering, broken coax connectors and power supply problems. In my experience, those hard to find, impossible to solder large ICs rarely fail. When they do, it's usually the result of a lighting hit, or botched repair attempt. I've observed a lot of the poorly skilled people resort to board swapping when it wasn't at all necessary. These people don't last long because there isn't much money in board swapping.

The lack of schematics would make me avoid a plasma if I was interested in repairing it myself. CRT HDTVs are pretty conventional apart from the metal box that contains all the digital processing. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe