Sherwood RX-5502 Receiver Protection Shutdown, Repair, thoughts wanted...

Den 12-10-2011 19:05, William R. Walsh skrev:

Replace the burning hot 7812 with one of these:

I have no connection to the company only thinks their product is sweet.

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Reply to

responding to

, T Wood wrote: Thank you so much for the info. I found the 7812 that powered the amp to be bad. A $2 radio shack part and a little time, and my RX-5502 is back up and operational. Mine was shutting down exactly as you described and after replacing the 7812, it has played music for over two hours and is still doing great.

Reply to
T Wood

responding to

, T Wood wrote: Thank you so much for the info. I found the 7812 that powered the amp to be bad. A $2 radio shack part and a little time, and my RX-5502 is back up and operational. Mine was shutting down exactly as you described and after replacing the 7812, it has played music for over two hours and is still doing great.

Reply to
T Wood

You realize this is five years old and some of these people could be dead.

It might be nice to resurrect threads on websites that simply copy Usenet but have no content of their own, but to respond to it on Usenet is not nice. Some people get pissed off.

Some people pull up shit from like 1991. this was even here in 1991 ? I mean, some cars still had carbs back then. They never heard of radon gas. Like a different world.

Reply to
jurb6006

Threads about a fixing particular piece of consumer electronic equipment tend to be old.

If someone has *new* information to add, like "I fixed a similar problem with the same unit, and it went like this" it's perfectly fine; there is nothing wrong with referencing the old thread.

Look, you're just not going to find a current, continuous, day-to-day discussion thread on a darned Sherwood RX-5502, right?

But if you start trying to help that person from seven years ago by asking questions, like "does the front panel light up, or is it completely dead?" then you're indeed a necroposting moron who annoys people, and probably shouldn't be using any device that has a CPU and network connection.

I'm pretty sure I heard of the issue of radon in homes in the middle

1980's. I'm in Canada, though; it's more of a problem in winterized homes, whose residents don't open their damned windows for much of the year.

Radon was already linked to lung cancer in non-smoking miners in the

1940's, according to .
Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

I just wanted to say thank you. I didn't realize that was so bad!!

Reply to
T Wood

No it's not fine.

This is not google, where the messages all appear. usenet was never intended to be archived.

SOme idiot replying to an old thread isn't being part of the newsgroup, they are simply doing google.

ANd whether or not that's good, the blunders pile on. They don't quote, they don't acknowledge they are replying to an old message, they may not even have a proper subject header (so instead of "re:" so we know it's a reply, it can often look like the start of a thread. Without quoting, there's no context, the only reason the post makes sense is because other idiots before them have done the same thing, so it's most likely a google idiot post.

The reality is people are replying to old threads for reasons that aren't clear, but I suspect some of it is that they simply don't grasp where they are, or that they are replying to an old thread.

And too often, someone replies to an old thread, and others jump in as if the thread is new, because they are reading at google and the thread then "comes to the top" and starts replying to the old thread. Too often, those people haven't even read the old thread, so they are not adding anything to it. Or, the person replying to the old thread gets replies, again as if the thread is new. Often the old thread has covered the problem, and anything new is just repetition. We had a resurrected thread last year here, and it wasn't so old, so some of the original participants replied, a second time, and gave about the same answer as they did the first (and in that thread, the original poster had posted a followup, back then, to reveal what solution had worked for them).

That's on top of the stupid posts where people ask a 1991 post "is this thing still for sale?" or the like. Don't try to justify this based on a specific newsgroup, the problem is that google still hasn't fixed the bug that allows replies to messages older than 30 days.

You want everything neat and tidy in one place, but that doesn't happen. And the same search that found the original thread should indeed find any separate followup thread that someone posted much later.

Our place here isn't to deal with the future, at google, our place here is an ongoing discussion of the repair of electronic equipment (or whatever the newsgroup is intended for, if this was another newsgroup).

You're assuming that people only ask about current equipment.

I've read this newsgroup since late 1994, and when I got full internet access in 1996, dejanews had already started archiving usenet posts. That was neat, because every time I dragged home some neat piece of equipment from a garage or rummage sale, I'd do a search, and often find some bit of information about the new junk. If I'd needed to ask something, I'd not reply to an old thread (and that option wasn't there with dejanews).

But if I'd wanted to ask about something I just dragged home, I'd post away. And maybe someone would have information, maybe not, it depends on who is reading the newsgroup.

Any of the idiots who keep replying to old threads is welcome to be a member of this newsgroup, all they have to do is post a message, if they want to talk about something old, that's okay too. Just don't reply to an old message.

But when some idiot replies to an old post, here it's not so obvious (except because there are telltales that we notice after the repeated abuse), so others chime in to the old thread as if it is new. So whether or not the first replier has some good thing to add, it's distruptive to the newsgroup.

Forget about google, act here like this is Usenet, which it is. Messages fade with time, unless someone saves them to their own hard drive. It's nto intended to be a long term medium. So don't treat it like it is.

Anyone can post and say "there was a discussion ten years ago, and I thought I'd add some more insight", they can even reference the old message, or "I just got this new thing, so I thought I'd post some comments about it". They don't need to rely on someone previously posting about it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I don't know how you get here, but Google and aioe or whatever seem to be t he only free ways to do it. Actually I probably should get a paid service b ut then, who gets that money ? Originally I got here via AOL but they stopp ed doing everything I wanted so I got rid of them.

Anyway, in Google the topics are arranged in reverse chronological order, s orted by most recent post. The date is right there, but it gives the latest date. So if it bugs you it bugs me more because I see on the right it says "4 hours ago", then I open it up and it does not skip the old posts becaus e I have not read them through Google. Believe it or not I may have read or even be in some of these old posts. But that doesn't matter, most of my wo rk was TVs so therefore it is all useless knowledge. Audio equipment is a d ifferent story. People are repairing and restoring old stuff every day, to the tune of mucho dinero I might add. One guy I did a job for in PA wound u p with $600 into the repair. Half of that was the round trip on UPS, and th ey broke it ! I actually could have charged him more but I have him some mo ney off because I put a scuff mark on the front panel. It is a Mitsubishi X

-11 system with the vertical turntable. I had to fix the amp which meant re trofitting it to modern chips because the original is unobtanium, but befor e that I had to fix the power supply with a foil burnt off the board, which was quite worrisome at first. I had to fix a broken part in the cassette d eck and put belts in that. Then when it got home, UPS somehow screwed up th e TT tracking servo. I had to charge him another hundred for that but that included time and gas to meet him about halfway. We were not about to do UP S again. so about $700 for like a 25 watt per channel, magnetic cartridge ( oh I replaced that also) and a pretty decent cassette deck. Although he'll never need outputs again, I used LM3886s.

At any rate, back to our regularly scheduled hijack, the people who respond to these old posts, like you said, must be finding them through a search. I mean a web search. for them to search SER, they would have to go to SER f irst, right ?

However, I just Googled for "Sherwood RX-5502" and no hits with "groups" on the first two pages. [

Then there is another thing, a bunch of websites archive Usenet and pretend they got a forum. Could they be finding these old posts that way ?

I mostly agree with you, but not with the preventing replies to posts over a month old. I think six months would be good. At least there's a good chan ce the people are still alive.

Reply to
jurb6006

There are a lot of free, or dirt cheap NNTP servers. It is included with any Earthlink account and I can set up, up to eight Usenet accounts with my Broadband account. One for each Email account.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you really care to know--I did a goggle search and found the info on electrodepot.com. I replied through that web site. I have no idea what Usenet is. I just know there is at least one ass that like calling people idiots

Reply to
T Wood

T Wood wrote: "electrodepot.com. I replied through that web site. I have no idea what Usenet is. I just know there is at least one ass that like calling people idiots "

Most folks born after 1980 wouldn't. Basically, usenet WAS the internet. A worldwide "distributed discussion system" according to Wikipedia:

And many traditional Usenet users become very irate and take it personal when someone - like me - interacts with usenet groups via Google or some other non-standard usenet interface. What they see coming into the group from a non-NNTP source is out of the ordinary that the context of the message is lost.

But still, no reason for them to be jerks about it. ;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I have had the same problem with my RX-5502. Can you tell me what the $2 Radio Shack part is? I looked at the thread you quoted and did not see a reference to the part name or number. Thanks!

Reply to
joseph

Honestly, if "7812" and "regulator" don't ring any bells, you probably shouldn't be screwing around with this. It could not have been any more easy unless someone dispatches a courier to your home with one.

Reply to
John-Del

he told you, the 7812.

Reply to
tabbypurr

to be

up and

ll doing

2 Radio Shack part is? I looked at the thread you quoted and did not see a reference to the part name or number. Thanks!

Ah, yes. Sorry, for some reason I got it into my head that he replaced it w ith something different (and better). And to John-Del's point, I have no in tention of getting in over my head with this; I am just mad that a product I paid a fair amount of money for stopped working after 4 hours of use. If I can find someone local to fix it, I will. Otherwise I'll move on with my life.

Reply to
joseph

What is local ? I fix these things.

Reply to
jurb6006

Back in the 70s, I had to repair a Sherwood solid state receiver for someone that had the same issues. (I dont remember the model). But that damn thing really pissed me off for days. I finally fixed it, but it would have cost the owner more than a new stereo if I charged the going rate per hour. In the end I was lucky to get about $2 an hour for my time. I was not impressed by Sherwood gear by the time I finished that one.

Reply to
oldschool

Not a very effective use of your time.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

No, but we've all had jobs where that became true, more so when young.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Even today I will tackle a job that I know is a loss going in, but with a r eason. When I see a circuit board for a problem more than once, I know it' s a pattern. Running down a problem on a board with no service data is a n ightmare, but once that problem is identified, the next one takes 15 minute s. Much better than paying for a replacement board. The more I see after t hat the bigger the payoff.

Reply to
John-Del