Rubber keyboard contact repair

Hi,

anyone geting good results rejuvenating worn keyboard contacts? I'm talking the large ones you find on music keyboards, drum machines etc. Particularly ones where you can't buy the contact rubbers any more ;)

I once bought some liquid paint on stuff specifically designed to do this, it was VERY expensive and didn't work.

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Years ago you should have started collecting the contact sheets from scrapped (due to redundency rather than worn out) zappers etc. Then a matter of cut and paste and some copydex or similar to keep in place. Legends won;t match but a small price to pay for continued functionality for someone who is so familiar with the kit he does not need the legends anyway

Reply to
N_Cook

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:36:57 +0100, Gareth Magennis ??o??:

I find it makes more sense to buy a new keyboard these days.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I don't think the OP is talking about generic PC stuff.

The conductive rubber pads can be pared off any scrap keypad that has a rubber button inlay, the best adhesive is RTV silicone rubber sealant, this is sold in many guises - silicone basth sealant or "instant gasket" are a couple of examples.

Definately DO NOT use copydex it smells evil and as an adhesive isn't worth the space it takes up in the junkbox.

Reply to
ian field

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:12:15 +0100, ian field ??o??:

Damn I didn't read that very well one did I?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Buy a cheap calculator or use a damaged keyboard to furnish conductive pieces for repair.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Thanks to all. This is a largeish pad on a Drum Machine. I had a quick go at slicing off part of the knackered pad and slicing off the conductive nipple from a keyboard contact strip with a view to gluing some of them on.

Rapidly came to the conclusion I could not charge a customer money for a complete bodge job I could not guarantee to work past next week. This is the Start/Stop button which takes a hammering.

One more piece of old toot bites the dust.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

this,

go

on.

I would have tried woven glass matt reinforced, moulded hotmelt glue sheet , with copper or brass gauze patches melted into the rear. Don't know how long the pcb tracks would survive. Making the reinforced flexible sheet in my tips files.

N_Cook