rubber rejuv?

What's the preferred treatment for drive rollers that seem to be hit & miss? These are the pickup rollers in a Minolta office copy machine.

I recall various cure-all's used for phonograph drive wheels in decades past, but not heard of anything recently.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

As the rubber rollers age they harden and loose their adhesion. Replacement is the proper fix.

You can try to clean them, but the fix will only be temporary.

GC used to make some kind of a rubber grip chemical. It should not be used on surfaces that contact paper. its effect is only a temporary fix.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Teac had a rubber conditioner that worked great on pinch rollers. Never used it on a paper feed roller. I don't think they make it any more but it was mostly naptha IIRC.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I usually give the rollers a careful rub with fine sandpaper, then clean them with isopropyl alcohol. It's worked every time so far. You just need to rub them enough to break the shiny 'glaze' and get down to the good rubber. One has to be careful not to rub enough to create flat spots though, but if the glaze is that deep then chances are the roller is beyond help anyway.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Black rubber rollers can be rejuventated for a while with any type of silicone oil. First clean the rollers with denatured alchohol and fine grade scotchbrite(usually white in color). Follow up with a synthetic sponge moist with alchohol to remove any loose rubber residue.( the foam tip cleaning swabs used for head cleaning vcr's will do or a bit of car wash sponge.) Let dry and apply silicone oil.( Armorall makes a rubber rejuvenator specifically for rubber/vinyl that works well. Used to get a product called "Rubber Love" from the auto parts store that worked very well also. Comes in a plastic squirt bottle and is a clear non-flammable silicone.) Run a few clean up sheets through the copier to get any excess off the rollers before running any actual work. This method has worked for me in the past, allowing a little more life from the pinch rollers. If you can't locate silicone oil from your local auto parts store try an RC hobby shop. They sell varying grades of pure silicone oil for the shocks on RC cars etc... I have several bottles of this stuff and it's worked like a charm on just about any rubber I've had to service.( gaskets, o-rings etc...)

Reply to
none

"Rubber Love" sounds like one of those movies behind the "over 18" door.

Better than silicone oil is methyl salicate, "oil of wintergreen", I think. It's what print shops use by the gallon to rejuvenate their acres of rubber rollers. Smells just like Doublemint gum. You can get it in small quantities too.

Don't get the stuff on your fingers though-- it doesnt wash off and your significant other will think you've been messing with the Doublemint twins.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Good tip. Thanks. I have been wondering if there was anything out there that worked well since Teac stopped supplying their product.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Hmm like the oil of wintergreen idea. I have read on other forums and have used "Goof Off" for this. It has to be the old one not the new one based on citrus oil. I think it's the MEK that does it. Removes the glaze and rejuvenates the tackiness of the rollers. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

You have to be careful with MEK. Liver cancer, you know. Use it sparingly, and outdoors.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Product is called Rubber Renew

Available

MG Chemicals Ontario Canada MFG

1-800 201-8822

Catalog number 408A 100 milliliters bottle

Available in USA MCM Electronics and others.

Reply to
lakewood

Do you have a link for that? This website claims MEK is not known to be a cancer hazard. It is, however, an irritant.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

My mistake! I was thinking of carbon tet and/or benzene, which are quite bad for you.

MEK, I apologize.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

No apology necessary. I'm always careful with all those solvents proven carcinogens or not. I grew up with carbon tet and benzene. It was everywhere, home dry-cleaning solvent, remember those carbon tet fire extinguisher bombs!? My daughter uses that non acetone nail polish remover in her enclosed room. I can barely breath when I go in there. So proven or not I'm not snorting any of that stuff. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

No need, it's always wise to be careful around chemicals like these. Just because there is currently no link with cancer doesn't mean there isn't one which may be discovered in the future.

Benzene is really nasty stuff though, and a proven carcinogen.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Hmmm, where can it be had in less than 55Gal quantity?

David Lesher

You can get it by the GALLON at

for $36. That should be a lifetime supply.

Also available at your better electronic parts places, where you'll get

1/64th of a gallon for 1/5th the gallon price.

Synonyms for the stuff:

Synonyms: Betula oil; Panalgesic; o-hydroxybenzoic acid methyl ester; betula; gaultheria oil; methyl o-hydroxybenzoate; oil of wintergreen; sweet birch oil; teaberry oil; wintergreen oil; analgit; exagien; flucarmit; 2-(methoxycarbonyl)phenol; anthrapole nd;

2-carbomethoxyphenol; Methyl hydroxybenzoate; Linsal; Metsal Liniment !
Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Eucalyptus oil is what we use here in Australia. It brings warn rubber components up like new. Apply it with a cotton stick.

Reply to
David

I use tyre black in a spray can that contains Benzene. I better apply it outside the garage from now on!

Reply to
David

Ancient_Hacker spake thus:

Hmmm; I'm a printer, but I've never heard of using this stuff on rubber. There is something called "rubber rejuvenator" that we use on rubber parts (rollers and blankets) that definitely doesn't smell anything like mint gum: more like really nasty solvents, like acetone and MEK and other stuff mixed together. It really works, though: takes off glazed ink in a flash. Comes in gallon cans at graphic art supply places.

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.

I see that Caig has a product called CaiKleen RBR. According to the MSDS sheet it is 50% Naptha, 20% Terpene Hydrocarbon, & 30% Chlorinated Parafin.

The Naptha and the Parafin were components of the Teac solution that we used for years and found it to be very good. I am not sure what the Terpene does, but I assume it is a cleaner.

MCM has it in their latest flyer.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet