Rubber

I have a few almost new usage-wise, but very old, tools with rubber handles. I want to keep using them.

The rubber surface has become gooey and sticky and comes off on my hands.

I cannot easily cover it with tape.

Is there some way to fix this. ?

Some chemical to solidify the rubber goo ?

Is it only the surface that I can somehow clean off ?

Reply to
Expiring

AFAIK that stuff isn't fixable, once it goos it just deteriorates. Temporar y improvement can be had by dusting it with talc or cornstarch. Repair requ ires removal, which is not easy. Usable softeners include toluene, xylene, neat washing up liquid, and old brake fluid seems to be the best. Most of t hose have their hazards.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I just repaired a pair of needle nose pliers that I like. Enter the following in eBay search window and work out the details.

(1 FOOT) 3/4" Red Heat Shrink Tube 3:1 Dual Wall Adhesive Glue Marine/to

0.75"

Good Luck!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Shrink tube.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Somebody makes a liquid handle dip coating exactly for this. You remove the old coating, clean, and dip the handles in the stuff, let dry, then repeat until the desired thickness is built up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

... Plastikote? Er no, .... Plasti Dip!

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

Yeah, flexible polymers age poorly sometimes. If you can remove the rubber entirely, and clean the handles, there's rubber fusion tape (made for electrical splicing, but more widely useful) that can be stretched/wound around the handles and it cures to a good rubbery grip.

If you want it to last forever, instead of just a decade, it's available in silicone, too, though that might be more slippery

Reply to
whit3rd

Maybe freezing at low temps (dry ice?) might make the stuff brittle so a whack with a hammer will shear it off. Replace with refrigerant foam insulator tube. Or bicycle grips.

Reply to
Peter Jason

plasti dip is great, I have tool handles I dipped decades ago, but gasoline takes it right off. Just an FYI.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

s.

And o you have good medical insurance? That''s what I want to know.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

And do you have good medical insurance? That''s what I want to know.

Reply to
bruce2bowser