OT Using Mozilla T-Bird on here ...

My son has just provided me with a new computer, on which he has put Windoze 7. As there is no longer any O.E. included in the OS, he has put this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also configured it to serve as the news client for the text groups that I subscribe to. I always liked O.E. for these, as I found that the way it layed out the threads, was simple and intuitive. I also like the way that it was simple to put a 'watch' on a thread, and as a result, colour the header, and then see it go bold, when there was a new post to a thread.

Thus far, on T-Bird, as far as I can see, it seems to display sub-threads within threads, rather than just stacking replies to a post below that post. Is there somewhere that I can configure it to handle the threading like O.E. did ? Also, how do I put a 'watch' on a thread, and can I colour the headers as a result of putting a watch on ? What do the little stars to the left of posts mean ? What have I switched on when I highlight one ?

Before everyone starts howling that I should use a 'real' mail client, I do also use X News, but I never much cared for the way that handled text groups, which is why I used O.E. for them.

I know it's probably a bit of 'not liking change',(I'm getting old and grumpy !) but I really did like O.E., so would it be better (for me at least) to try the new Windoze Mail, which I understand is basically O.E. for Vista and above, or possibly, full blown Outlook, which I have been told runs fine on W7 ?

Gettin' more confused by the minute ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hi!

You have no idea how it thrills me to hear you say that! Although I'd readily admit that it's not the "best" or even close to the "best" newsreader out there, OE always seemed to get the threading and ordering right when nothing else would. While I didn't use the "watch this" feature much, it was handy and well implemented.

I'm one of these Windows 2000 diehards, but I know the day is coming. I have zero interest in Win7, so that leaves the Mac OS or Linux. I'm steadily gravitating toward one or the other.

Thunderbird defaults to a non-threaded view. To change this, navigate to the newsgroup that you want and change the view (under the view menu, and possibly another submenu beyond that) to "threaded".

I'm sure you can, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I haven't had to, and "necessity is the mother of invention" or something like that...

So far as I know, the stars mean that you "like" a message or somehow want to call attention to it. You can sort the messages by their starred status or skip between starred messages.

I don't know that Windows Mail does Usenet. Other than that, it is almost a dead ringer for OE in a lot of ways. (So why did they stop the development and inclusion of OE again?)

Outlook doesn't read Usenet by itself. That job is farmed out to Outlook Express, called up with the /outnews switch to hide the e-mail functionality. In the light of Outlook Express disappearing, perhaps Outlook itself has dropped support for Usenet.

That wouldn't surprise me, what with everyone and their dog dropping Usenet support for these (mostly) idiotic web forums (a great many of which seem to scrape Usenet for content anyway!).

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Doesn't Windows Mail handle newsgroups?

he has put

Don't use it for email. Find another program for that otherwise you'll end up accidently posting private funnies about your budgies love life to the group ;-)

On TB, you'll see the first one _underlined_ if the thread has been collapsed and new additions have arrived.

Confused. Been years since I used O.E. and on swapping I thought Thunderbird was fairly similar in this respect. Subthreads within threads is what ye got when you turned on threading!

Anyway ...

- View -> Threads -> All ... or Watched Threads with Unread

Also, how do I put a 'watch' on a thread,

The W key, (or - Message -> Watch Thread)

There is an 'eye' icon next to watched threads.

I do - Message -> Tag - > {list of tags} to change colour of the row.

A little fiddle I'm sure.

What do

Nothing, it's just for tagging the post for one of your following actions

- File -> Offline -> Get Starred Messages

- Edit -> Select -> Starred Messages

- View -> Sort By -> Star

--
Adrian C
Reply to

(...)

Thunderbird sorta works for Usenet News, but I would recommend Forte Agent instead. $29 to register. 30 day free trial.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Only if you are brain dead.

Reply to
UCLAN

T-bird works fine for TEXT Usenet newsgroups.

Reply to
UCLAN

It's not a perfect job though. Try doing anything slightly advanced with features you've been given and the brick wall approaches.

For instance, it would be damm useful if the filtering criteria supported 'regular expression syntax. Er, nope.

Or, if visiting a topic that has been cross-posted in many of ya other subscribed groups, then having visited posts marked as read in the other groups would be nice. Er, nope.

Or, where is ROT13 support? (and don't say LeetKey...)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Apparently Windows Mail is hidden in Win 7 somewhere, and just needs a tweak to make it work. You mention only OE, but Windows Mail is nearly identical. Plenty of info out there.

gonzo

On 6/1/2010 10:35 AM UCLAN spake thus:

Yeah, really. I use T-bird for both mail and Usenet. You just set up different accounts. Piece of cake.

David Nebenzahl