RIP

I would like to take a moment to tell you all a bit about my brother.

Jay Zacharias passed away November 5 in Seattle, Washington. He was 56 years old.

He was an accomplished broadcast engineer for Tribune Broadcasting, Journal Broadcasting, and at various times for each of the regular over-the-air stations in Wichita, KS (USA). He supervised the MTS stereo audio conversions for KPTS and KWCH in Wichita, and later Journal and Tribune's conversions to the digital broadcast formats in Traverse City MI. and in Seattle. In each case he did not merely "supervise"; he was hands-on physically involved.

In the 80's and early 90's Jay was a product support engineer for the old Ampex Magnetic Tape Division, and supervised the restoration of many old analog masters which had deteriorated with binder problems, and was an expert on the subject.

He is survived by his wife Mary, and two daughters (well, and me...)

Jay was suffering liver cancer, and knew the end was coming. You never could imagine anyone handling this so well, a tribute to his belief in a life after. He did his best to make sure his work and personal affairs were in the best possible order. He was able to work up until the last couple weeks.

Ironically, he gave me his Tektronix multimeter and 'scope. I haven't had the heart to even open the box.

RIP bro'. You will be missed.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

My condolences Mark.

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

Sorry for your loss, Mark.

Reply to
JW

What's ironic about that? He'd want you to use them, and have good memories of him while you were using them.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Sorry for your loss Mark. My wife is battling liver cancer at the moment and it is an unpleasant struggle. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Sucks.. sorry to read this. My condolences.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Having lost three brothers myself, I know how you feel. Please accept my condolences.

Kenuf

Reply to
Kenuf

Mark: Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Mother to breast cancer last year.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Well, it's a bit ironic because as several of the regulars here are aware, I am a multimeter junkie. I have more damn meters than you can shake a stick at - old, new, cheap, expensive, etc.

His Tektronix is a high end 50,000 count dual display model, and would be the jewel in the crown, so to speak, but I might not be able to bring myself to use it.

So yes, ironic. Sorry I wasn't clear.

BTW I was reciting his history from memory and made a mistake - it was Scanlon Communications he worked for in Traverse City...

Thanks to all for your kind wishes.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Terrible. I hope her outlook is hopeful.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Feelings for your loss as passed between us privately earlier in the week ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

My condolences, Mark. I have lost a family member to cancer, as well.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey, Geoff.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Mark,

Please accept my condolences.

Best regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Thanks, Tim.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Dear Mark,

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your brother Jay. My condolences to you and your family.

Regards,

David Farber

Reply to
David Farber

Thanks, Dave. We just had the funeral yesterday.

mz

Reply to
Mark Zacharias