RIP Barrie Gilbert

The brilliant and prolific circuit designer Barrie Gilbert, holder of over 100 US patents, who was perhaps best know for a circuit block that carries his name, passed away yesterday after a fall. Among Barrie's better known achievements was the development of the analog display readout employed in the Tektronix 7000 series scopes, the discovery and elucidation of the "Translinear Principle", and the invention of the Gilbert cell, a high-speed analog multiplier technique still in wide use. He was in his early 80s, and had been employed for over 40 years at Analog Devices. He was one of ADI's first Analog Devices Fellows. Over his career he designed a succession of top-selling products for ADI, some of which had product lifetimes measured in decades. He was an absolutely brilliant designer, and had the most intuitive feel for transistor operation of anyone I've ever met. He was also a warm and generous person, more than willing to share his knowledge with anyone with a willingness to learn. I will always be grateful for his encouragement back when I joined ADI in 1982, and for a clever bandgap circuit of his (never published, but disseminated within ADI) that was just the think I needed in one of my IC designs some years ago.

R.I.P. Barrie

Reply to
Steve Goldstein

His work made my work much easier. Some of our products very much relied on his log amp designs. Not just the log output but the compressed IF was essential to us.

Reply to
bulegoge

I'm so sad, another one gone. One of the best.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

He was up there with Bob Widlar, and outlasted him by quite a bit.

It's a sad loss.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Unfortunate week for Tektronix alumni. First Stan Griffiths, and now Barrie. :( I will say I'm glad to hear it was a fall and not one of the usual horrific lingering illnesses that seem to overtake a lot of people at that age. He was active and engaged with life right up to the end -- in fact, I believe he was in the process of getting a new house built, or had just finished it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Barrie only a couple of times, the first being when a mutual friend invited me over to his house several years ago to demonstrate a new gadget (

) for some other friends of his. Barrie was one of those in attendance, so I found myself in the awkward position of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. He invited me down to Analog Devices' development office in Oregon to demo the TimePod to his employees and colleagues, but sadly I never worked up the chutzpah to take him up on the offer.

Which was just stupid, as you couldn't hope to meet a more humble, approachable guy, with or without 100 patents and multiple distinguished fellowships to his name. Kicking myself bigtime that I never got to know him better.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

e:

Guys like Bob Widlar kind of fascinate me. I will probably not convey this well... but he had a personality and lifestyle that under most circumstance s would result in a generally failed life....but at the exact moment in tim e he had the exact right personality and insight to propel this new technol ogy forward. I think many people would love to be an expert at something a nd then be able to run off and party for months on end and then come right back and do his stuff and keep succeeding. I suppose during his off time h e was thinking about this stuff.....but how many people get to live such a fruitful and unconventional life.

Reply to
blocher

ote:

s well... but he had a personality and lifestyle that under most circumstan ces would result in a generally failed life....but at the exact moment in t ime he had the exact right personality and insight to propel this new techn ology forward. I think many people would love to be an expert at something and then be able to run off and party for months on end and then come righ t back and do his stuff and keep succeeding. I suppose during his off time he was thinking about this stuff.....but how many people get to live such a fruitful and unconventional life.

He died at 54. Barrie Gilbert made it to 80. The fact that Widlar was brill iant at what he did whenever he was sober enough to do it, is undeniable.

If he'd spent less time running off and partying, he probably could have mo ved the field quite a bit further forward, but if he'd been that worried by other peoples opinions he would probably have had fewer ground-breaking id eas.

There are lots of different ways of being clever, and a whole lot more diff erent ways of being slightly less clever.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to