keeping tools/devices dry (rice)

Will putting a pouch of rice in a toolbox with devices stop rust?

(I remember this was recommended, but I don't remember where)

Reply to
bruce2bowser

NO.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

au contraire.

"The metal tools may be kept inside the box and placed inside the tool box. When the uncooked rice becomes moist, replace it with a new set. This should help keep the humidity down and prevent rust from forming ..."

bruce2bowser

Why would you ask a question and then argue with someone who gives an answer. Did you not find that link until after you posted the question?

Personally I think the rice ball is a bit of BS. Yes, it will absorb moisture, but why would your toolbox be wet? My tools don't rust in the toolbox unless it gets wet. Then it would have a wet ball of rice which wouldn't help prevent rust. Notice the qualifier, "This should help"... not very much assurance there.

One time my tool boxes were inside a big box on the back of my truck. A find powder snow fell and was blown between all the cracks in the lids of the boxes. I didn't realize and when it warmed up a bit the snow melted and all my tools got a fine surface rust, even the chromed ones. I don't think a ball of rice would have prevented that.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Doesn't answer your question maybe but I ran across an interesting thought about tools and tool boxes. A machinist here had an old wooden box he used for ages and always talked about getting a new one. One Christmas his daughter got him a roll around metal Craftsman box with all the bells and whistles.

He transferred the tools to the metal box and found they rusted at an alarming rate. The consensus at the shop was that the wood boxes would dry out when the weather was dry and absorb moisture when the weather was humid - protecting the tools by ameliorating the swings in humidity. But it's only a theory.

People put rice in salt shakers and swear by it.

Reply to
default

People put baking soda in their refrigerators and toss it out after a few months. That was started by Arm&Hammer, a marketing ploy.

People do all sorts of shit. That's not a reason for anyone else to do it.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

There are so many available products to absorb moisture why would you have to resort to a wives tale solution?

Reply to
Tom Biasi

obstreperous by nature

Reply to
default

You can call names all day long. That's not much of a debating point. It only speaks to you, not me.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Or possibly at it.

An oil rag in the tool box helps a lot. I generally give it a shot of WD40 when I remember, and my tools don't rust.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"Rust"? What's that? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Something they have in places where there's more than just dirt and rocks. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yep. Last three days we've had heavy cloud overcast... it'd rain

point... you people back East are going to get another heavy dose of rust ;-)

It last rained here August 3... probably rain again around end of January, early February... yet we have no water shortage... wonder why ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I didn't know that. In a discussion, maybe someone knows of something even better than rice. I know sometimes these questions seem strange, though.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

The silica gel packs are for removing the moisture. You often see small packs of them in electronic equipment boxes. Maybe even medicine bottles.

moisture-condensation? gclid=CjwKCAiA3o7RBRBfEiwAZMtSCRoHsPsIqF6CZmhg3rZYmzDTpRqi6ztsIgPbJQdX8L q64G6uhM-hZxoCeF0QAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^228662146449-device^c- plaid^297672295119-sku^FNTSGP@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Living in Arizona I somehow doubt you'll ever need to worry about it, Jim.

Cursitor Doom

Because you don't have loads of movie stars watering their lawns, I'd imagine. In fact you probably don't even have lawns in AZ. ;-)

Cursitor Doom

Anhydrous copper sulphate perhaps. You can tell by the colour when it gets damp. And you can dry it out again and re-use it over and over.

Cursitor Doom

Actually we _do_ have LOTS of lawns... and swimming pools. But we hack to death any snail darters we find >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

When I first moved to Arizona I had a 1961 Renault Dauphine with some rust spots acquired in Massa2shits.

Within a year those orange rust spots had turned to gray and didn't proceed any further... passivation ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.