Ckt to switch on a rice cooker via internet

Dear all,

I am a complete novice to electronic circuit design. I want to have some fun and learning experience by designing small electronic circuits. So to get started with I thought of switiching on our rice cooker through a computer or cell phone.

What I want is whenever I send a mail to my e-mail account with some subject say "Start Rice Cooker", our rice cooker should be switched on. The design I have in mind is, as soon as I get a mail with the specified subject, then a script will be invovked which sends a command to the electronic circuitry attached to the rice cooker through a transmitter attached to my computer (via USB port).

Here are a few questions I thought you could help me out in getting answes...

a) I want some kind of primitive actuator controlled via some microcontroller to switch on the rice cooker. Do you have any suggestions for the actuators and microcontrollers which I can use. b) What kind of transmitting (at the computer end) and receiving devices (at the rice cooker end) I can use.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Best regards, Suresh

Reply to
Suresh Purini

Wake up! The cicuits exist, that the easy part, now to work. So you send an e-mail to your computer, which replaces the microcontrollers, can it know how to read it and act on the orders? Or it will put it in inbox with all the others? Start by explaining to the existing hardware that special activity is required when orders arrive. Only then sit to your meal.

Good luck.

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

In E-mail, filter on incoming messages, for instance, "Rice Cooker ON"

In filter Action, Notify Application [Application Name]

Write simple little application/program to send a signal via serial or USB port to a relay, or whatever.

Been there, done that, with my aircraft tracking of some years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson

;^) If for cooking rice you need a broadband+Vista capable hardware then I wonder what happened to human digestive system.

Have fun

Stanislaw Slack12 user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Just get an internet ready toaster and rip out the toaster part and insert your rice cooker.

Hal Murray