Reverse Polarity = brick. What fried?

I have a new 7" portable DVD player for the kids. It takes 9VDC to operate. It was subjected to reverse polarity for about a full minute, and now it doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me what component(s) likely died, and whether I stand a chance at ressurecting it?

Reply to
bobneumann

btw, when I say reverse polarity, I mean the 9v into the unit was reversed, not the 110V into the transformer.

Reply to
bobneumann

Well, if you can open it up without wrecking it, look near the incoming power jack. Follow the PCB trace to the center post. It should go to a fuse and/or a diode going to the other post. Check the fuse for continuity and check the diode for shorts. The fuse may have blown, or the diode may have sacrificed itself and shorted.

OH! OR the 9V wall-wart may have died when plugged into the DVD player again, if the DVD player diode shorted.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

I think we have this dicussion every 6 months or so.

Why don't manufacturers put a 5 cent diode across the input so it blows the fuse in the AC adapter - or destroys it, but doesn't damage the much more expensive powered equipment?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I think it might be a good idea to look at making it a condition of gaining safety approval. At reasonable production volumes, the diode wouldn't even cost 5 cents, so there really is no excuse.

Even better would be a full bridge rectifier and smoothing cap. That way it could run off AC or DC, and polarity would not be an issue. This would probably wouldn't be viable on very cheap equipment though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

If it's a DC input, why not just a diode in series? Then it simply just doesn't work if connected to the wrong polarity. But nothing gets damaged.

--
*He's not dead -  he's electroencephalographically challenged

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I assume they wouldn't want to waste the power.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Interesting view. ;-)

--
*Windows will never cease *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because in high-volume manufacturing, five cents is a very significant cost.

Years ago, a friend worked for RCA's television operation in Indianapolis. He told me that adding twenty-five cents to the cost of a high-end TV required a manager-level review, adding fifty cents required director approval, and adding seventy-five cents caused heart palpitations in the executive suite.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

I know this is beyond ignorant, but:

I know a diode has 3 legs. to check it for shorts, I check it across which legs? If I get "0" ohms across any of the 3 possible paths I replace it?

At least I'm bright enough to know a bad fuse when I find one! :-)

Bob

Reply to
bobneumann

'turns out I was even ingnoranter than I supposed. Disregard my last post.

Bob

Reply to
bobneumann

I've never seen a fuse inside an AC adapter. Guess they're "designed" to be impedance limited by using really thin wire in the transformer primary. They save the cost of a fuse *and* save money on the thinner wire. What a deal.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

They've sometimes got a thermal fuse incorporated in the transformer.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if they spent the nickel they would louse the all mighty dollar.

Reply to
rb

leave the transistor alone

Reply to