accidentally used reverse polarity 6v dc power supply... fried psd 230 cd player?

My SO accidentally used reverse polarity for the 6v dc power supply input to the SuperScope PSD 230 portable CD player she just got secondhand. She had not tried it before. Now it does not play with the power supply only (tip positive, which I think is correct according to the diagram on the outside of the box). However, it seems to play fine with batteries.

Does reversing the polarity of a 6v dc power supply to an electronic device ordinarily fry the innards? Or is there usually some kind of protective circuit that prevents this mistake from having serious consequences?

TIA...

some devices have a protection diode that may be now shorted or a small fuse ot piece of the PWB is burned open

An electronics tech may be able to fix it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

z,

It sounds like a simple power circuit problem from what you described. If you're located in the US, we will take a look at your player for only a $25.00 fee, then if we can repair it, we'll only charge $15.00 to ship it back to you with insurance. We service this model and most likely can have it back up and running for you in a few days. For more info on our services, check our website:

If you wish to get more information or have any questions, please email us at snipped-for-privacy@canada.com. We look forward to assisting you!

--The all new Techgadgetz_dot_com

Reply to
techgadgetz

batteries.

Then it's most likely the tiny switch in the power socket which cuts off the batteries.

device

Usually not.

Usually.

NSM

NSM,

off the

We disagree. Regular switches will carry current regardless of the polarity. Most certainly the switch (if any installed) is fine and it's something further inside the power circuit. Reversing of polarity on the power supply WILL almost certainly fry the inside of a device, so one must be careful when connecting the PS (I know as well, I have done the same in my day). As for buying a new one, that's great if you can, but from what I've seen, this model retails for a few hundred dollars. Good luck

--Techgadgetz.com

Reply to
techgadgetz

batteries.

device

If it still works on batteries then you got very lucky and there's probably a protection diode, look for a burned trace or micro fuse near the input jack. Usually reverse polarity will fry the device instantly, not sure why they don't all have a diode.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:38:08 GMT, "James Sweet" put finger to keyboard and composed:

A friend in the industry calls this a "d*****ad diode". On quite a few occasions I've added such diodes to protect myself from bounced jobs. For some low power devices with a high enough supply margin you can safely add a diode in series with the supply.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

It only needs one diode to protect against wrong connection, and many things that take disposable batteries are fitted with protection since it's all too easy to fit those incorrectly. Under those circumstances it would be likely that diode would protect from wrong connection of the PS too.

Many of these devices use a SMPS to give a constant supply regardless of battery voltage etc, and that too *should* incorporate reversal protection.

But then 'they' do tend to save on tiny costs wherever possible...

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

been there done that. certified d*****ad. replaced the diode, unit worked fine.

Reply to
dickhead

Reply to
Robert de NERO

If she plugged in reverse power she may have used an oversized plug. If it's OK on batteries the fault is in a tiny section of the circuit, and 99% of the time it's that switch. They don't BURN out, they get bent out of shape.

NSM