Re: Reverse Polarity

Anyone know of a way to reverse polarity (9 to 12V DC) each time the power

--
Please crosspost instead of multi-posting.

I\'ve crossposted this to seb and sed.

You could use a 555 pulsing on power-up to toggle a DPDT dual-coil
magnetic latching relay by using one set of the relay\'s contacts to
steer the pulse and the other to switch a DPDT single-side-stable
relay on and off to get your polarity reversal.  The caveat is that
the pulse to the latching relay has to be short enough so that it\'ll
be gone before the armature gets to the other contact or both relays
will buzz or, at least, switch back.

You could also use a 555 to drive a solenoid which would toggle a
DPDT alternate-action pushbutton switch.
Reply to
John Fields

Oops...

Fixed the list of crossposted groups.
Reply to
John Fields

power

turn

top

next

bottom

John ... This is all low current operations. How about something like a divide by 2 triggering a 555? Can this give alternate highs and lows on pin

3, the output? I can figure what to do after pin 3. I also wonder if I'm explaining the problem adequately.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No.

The 555 is a timer with an output that goes high for a predetermined time when its input is triggered, and then goes and stays low until it's triggered again.

--
You may not be.

If you could get into a little more detail about your application it
would help.
Reply to
John Fields

A good old fashioned 2 transistor bistable with input coupling capacitors and steering diodes and a small NiCd battery charged when the PSU is on to retain the bistable state when its off, a driver transistor to power a relay double pole changeover when the PSU is on.

Reply to
ian field

Reply to
John Fields

reverse

advance.

I'm

relay

I think you got it! Sounds like a viable plan. I will study it. Thanks so much Ian. This is in the realm of what I need gents, so if there are any other ideas along this line, please tell me.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

--
While seeming attractive at first blush, the down side of Ian\'s
scheme is that you\'ll need to build the whole thing using discretes,

Your description is murky and incomplete with the biggie being just what you mean by turning what on and off..

There has to be a retained 'memory' of what the previous state was so if one assumes you mean that all power is removed from 'everything' then the 'memory' device must retain it's 'memory' without power. So you get suggestions like a magnetic latching relay.

If the power supply itself can remain on, disconnecting the 'red and black posts' for 'off', or if there can be 'standby power', like what keeps your PC clock alive when the PC is 'off', then a whole world of powered solid state devices opens up.

But none of your NE555 and flip flop ideas are going to work if all power is removed because then there's nothing to 'remember' the previous state. They go 'brain dead' with no power and will power back up the same way each time.

Reply to
flipper

A small microcontroller with EEPROM or similar would be a simple solution, but only if the OP has some experience with them.

Jim

Reply to
JimW52

I thought about mentioning that but, with programming, it's an order of magnitude more complex.

Reply to
flipper

The same basic configuration could be assembled with a CMOS quad 2 I/P nand, it might even be possible to retain the state with a supercapacitor.

Reply to
ian field

--
It might...
Reply to

When

the

that

it'll

relays

like

if

on

so

nand,

I know what you mean by a cap retaining the charge but I never heard the term super cap. What size and type cap would I need and how long would the charge last? All ears, er, eyes..

Bill

Reply to
Bill

--
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=supercapacitor

The charge would last for:

          (Vp - Vih) C
     t = ---------------

Where t is the time in seconds,
      Vp is the peak voltage the cap is charged to,
      Vth is the logic\'s Vih(min),
      C is the capacitance in farads, and
      I is the current drawn by the circuit
Reply to
John Fields

Super caps range from about 0.22F to several F, some smaller values are available with voltage rating of 5.5V but many of the very large values only

2.5V. They are typically used for settings memory in things like cash registers and VCRs etc.

Another possibility is a lithium coin cell like the 2032, these last for many years in PC RTC+NVR including the older PCs which often used a 74C04 as the RTC crystal oscillator.

Reply to
ian field

Cheers! Rich

Reply to