Resistor colours

Anyone else find it bizarre and inexplicable when resistor manufacturers use coloured bodies for their resitors? The subsequent coded bands become *far* more difficult to read.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Generally, there is a reason for those colors. The Internet is your friend in figuring out why.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

And some of us (7-10% male,

Reply to
John Robertson

Don't get out much do you? Allen Bradly, and most other carbon composition resistor manufacturers used a brown composition body. When film resistors started to become popular, they had white bodies. The only other color I've seen is a dull red, Usually on 2% resistors.

Of course, wire wound resistors had colors all over the map. But then they had the values printed on them. No color code.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Black color is the right choice for anything expected to dissipate energy. Integrated circuits is a good example. smc components another.

Reply to
bilou

By the time it's hot enough for that to matter it's already toast. The other colours are close to black in IR performance.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have found some in the 470 ohm and a few in the 100 and under ohm range have changed values more than the 10% they are rated for. Those were new ones in the 25 pack.

They were checked with a Fluke 87 that had been sent out about 6 months before to a lab that verified it to the NIST to be in caliberation.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, comp are known for drifting & sometimes going noisy. The high R values are much worse for drifting upward, since the internal contact points between grains are both smaller & fewer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have two assortments of several thousand through-holes I bought recently from Farnell (never again-terrible service) and Conrad. Farnell's were bright blue; Conrad's dark green(!) Both extremely difficult to read (and I don't have any form of colour-blindness). IME, white-bodied resistors constitute a very small minority.

--

"When constituencies are small their elected representatives must concern themselves with
the local interests of their constituents. When political representatives are distant and

 - Sir James Goldsmith (Member of the European Parliament) 1933 - 1997
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Anything? Even 'A'phase?

Reply to