Resistor distribution

I was killing some time last night before going to my first maker space meeting, watching some Dave videos.

In the first video Dave finds that some Philips resistors have a ~

+/-0.5% distribution right around the ?correct? value.

In the second he finds that some cheaper (Xicon?) also have a 0.5% ?spread?, but the average is a bit (~0.35%) lower than nominal.

This raises a bunch of interesting questions. Do any resistor makers publish this sort of data? Does buying resistors from a ?better? manufacturer lead to resistors with a better mean. I use mostly cheap Xicon 1%ers. A few times I?ve gone hunting through the parts bin with an ohmmeter trying to find some particular value. Though I don?t have any data I did strike me that the average seemed a bit low. (When looking for a 10.0k ohm I found many more 9.9X k ohms than 10.0X k ohms.)

So does anyone know how 1% resistors are made? I find it hard to believe that they trim each one. (Do they trim the 0.1% ers?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Most 1% or better surface-mount resistors are laser trimmed. You can check them under magnification and see the trim cuts. If it's done very quickly, the mean could well be a bit off for any given reel.

Commodity thickfilms can cost under a penny each. I think - not sure - that 5% thickfilms are generally manufactured without trimming, so a batch of them could be a percent or two off.

We use the Susumu thinfilms for important stuff. They are very good, in tolerance, TC, and aging.

 Click to see the full signature

gh

k them

mean

OK Thanks, I guess I can believe the trimming, but do they measure each one?

George H.

at 5%

m could

.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
George Herold

them

could

I bought some Susumu thinfilms for under a buck a reel of 5000.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How can they trim them if they don't?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

them

mean

Sure; they laser cut until the value is right. It's often an L cut; the cross axis is coarse trim, and the longitudinal cut is final fine trim.

 Click to see the full signature

them

mean

5%

could

Good deal. They are usually about 30 cents each.

 Click to see the full signature

I could imagine that they measure a few to set the laser cut and then only do spot checks. But I clearly have no clue how it's done! It sorta blows my mind to think someone can make it, measure it, trim it, and then sell it to me for under a penny.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

/

heck them

the mean

ross

Well I scrapped the silk screen off the surface of a few and an L cut was exactly what I saw.

I think there is a Vishay resistor plant somewhere near me... I wonder if I could get a tour?

George H.

.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
George Herold

them

mean

A laser trimmer must be cool to see. The parts are flying through some handler/measuring gadget and being laser blasted at some number per second. Time matters, so there is probably some empirical second-guessing of subsequent thermal and other creep-back.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

All done by machines.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Selling too?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Sort of: Droids.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen

By computer? Yes. I haven't bought electronics parts in person or over the phone in over 20 years. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ann & all her fellow machines?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

More like six to a penny.

Reply to
krw

Have you ever seen an operation like DigiKey? ...or Amazon? ...or NewEgg? Do you really think they have people chasing parts?

Reply to
krw

amazon sure has people doing the picking.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Back in the "good old daze" '70s to '90s) 5% carbon comps ran typically 2% high with a rather tight spread - maybe +/- 1% (to +/- 2% at most).

Reply to
Robert Baer

The video I saw was all automated.

Reply to