What's my resistor?

Hi All,

I am an electronics newbie, so please be gentle with me! I am trying to make up a circuit as described on a web site. All it requires is a couple of connectors, a transistor, a resistor and a chip. It is the resistor I am having problems with. It is supposed to be a 100K resistor. I bought one at Maplin for the pricey sum of 9p. But I wanted to check that it was the correct one, so I used my meter on it. It has 5 bands: brown, black, black, black, brown. According to my meter, on the 200 scale, it says 100. On the 200K scale it says 0.1. surely this must not be the correct resistor (I would have expected to see 100 on the 200K scale not 0.1). I looked at the Maplin web site and found a picture of the resistor I bought and it says it is a 100K resistor - at this point I got confused.

Can someone please help me. What 5 coloured bands should I see on a

100K resistor.

Thanks in advance to any willing helpers.

Regards

Reply to
Bill

See

for an explanation.

Briefly: for the digits, brown corresponds to a "1", black to a "0". There are three digits indicating the value, one digit which indicates the multiplier (a power-of-ten), and the final digit indicates the precision.

What you have, it appears, is a 10001 coding, which means (100 * 10^0), (1%) resistor. In other words, the color coding says that it's a 100-ohm 1%-precision resistor, which matches up nicely to what your meter is saying.

A 100K 1% resistor would be (100 * 10^3), (1%), which would be color-coded brown-black-black-orange-brown.

A less-precise resistor such as a 5% would have only four bands, with two digits for the value. A 100-ohm resistor of this sort would be coded brown-black-brown-gold (10 * 10^1) (5%), and a 100k-ohm resistor would be brown-black-yellow-gold (10 * 10^4) (5%).

In the European system of writing resistor values, it's usual to write an "R" or "K" or "M" in the location of a decimal point or comma... for instance, "2R2" would be 2.2 ohms, "2K2" would be 2,200 ohms, "10M" would be 10,000,000 ohms, and so forth.

In this scheme of writing, what you *wanted* was a 100K, and what you got was a 100R.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

Sounds like a 100.0 ohm 1% resistor. It's conceivable that the experts at Maplin may have inadvertently given you the incorrect part.

5% resistors-- check this out:

(it will be brown black yellow gold)

For 100K 1% it would be brown black black orange brown

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I already replied once, but it didnt seen to appear, so apologies if its here more than once.

Thanks to both of you that replied.

You have confirmed my suspicions that I do have the wrong resistor (thanks! Maplin staff!). As a newbie to this sort of thing, you have been a great help - I thank you again.

Kind regards

Bill.

(P.S. I wonder if Maplin offer any sort of compensation for blowing up your hardware for supplying the wrong components? - I doubt it!)

Reply to
billspam

Thanks to all who have responded,

You have confirmed that I have the wrong resistor (I thought this was the case, but a confirmation is good). Typical Maplin staff!

I will return there tomorrow and buy another, and this time I will get them to meter it for me and show me what it really is.

Your help is much appreciated. As a newbie to this area I need help from people like you.

Many thanks,

Bill.

Dave Platt wrote:

Reply to
billspam

Maplin experts? "ex" is a has-been, and "spert" is a drip under pressure!

Just don't let these unskilled twerps hold both ends of the 100k resistor whilst testing it, otherwise it will probably indicate a lot lower value.

Reply to
Theo