Replacing line driver power transistor on Sony TV

There's a fault on my Sony telly which I think I've narrowed down to the line driver stage before the line output transistor. Certainly when I blast this transistor with freeze spray the set recovers, only to throw a wobbly again a few minutes later.(line width starts to become unstable/wavy on right, although all lines start OK on left, before the set closes down with

2 flashes on fault LED). I thought I'd try replacing this transistor, which is a 2SC2688. Does anybody know where I can get such a transistor in the UK, or how I can find an equivalent that will do?

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan Beamish

Reply to
Alan Beamish

have you tried tightening the heat-sink screw and touching up the three solder joints? A lot of these transistors lift their legs off the Pc board after a few hundred heat/cool cycles, or break their pads off the Pc board.

Otherwise if it is a flaky transistor, it shouldnt be too critical, it's just a 300V NPN 200Ma transistor. There's three of these on most color TV CRT socket boards, as video drivers.

Regards,

George

.
Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Reply to
Art

Thanks to Art and Ancient Hacker for the advice. I'll check these before replacing the transistor.

Regards, Alan

Alan Beamish