LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Hi All, I have several of these DVD Players in for repair with the same fault. OK when cold but when they heat up they will freeze and not turn off, or just stop or no screen. I suspect the main logic bpard as it gets very hot. If freeze spray is aplied it will work fine. Has anyone seen this before and is it a common fault. Cheers Joe

Reply to
valiumboy

You just told us it was a common fault! :-)

(Sorry I have no idea of the fix)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Thanks for the informative response. It may not be common at all.That was the reason i was posting.Just because i have 3 of them with the same symptoms means nothing. If you have no idea of the fix what was the point of posting

Reply to
valiumboy

"valiumboy"

** Contact the LG company - you need to speak to their warranty service people.

Design flaws like that may have a known and published fix.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"valiumboy" wrote

Thanks for the informative response. It may not be common at all.That was the reason i was posting.Just because i have 3 of them with the same symptoms means nothing.

**** There must have been tens of thousands of these machines made,and you just happen to have "several" of them,with the same fault and you think that means nothing?????

The mind boggles!!!!!!!!

If you have no idea of the fix what was the point of posting

***** If you have no idea of how to fix the fault,what was the point of posting?

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

"valiumboy"

** Mount a mini ( 40mm) 12 volt fan blowing on the hot areas.

Call it a " work around " ;-)

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil, as least someone has a constructive comment without being a smart ass. I will get on to LG tomorrow. Suspect one of the ram chips on this board. And yes i have 3 of them with the same SYMPTOMS.Sometimes freezing,sometimes no screen at all, sometimes skipping. Any of the 10 ics on the logic board could be contributing individually or together to cause these faults. I was trying to narrow it down.I was hoping someone had seen it before, but obviously not.

Reply to
valiumboy

I guess your top posting shows that you are new, so for your info a :-) is called a smiley, and it usually indicates humour.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I think he *was* very much trying to be a smart ass with that reply!

You truly ARE humour impaired!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

"Mr.T" = a congenital f****it and life long troll.

** Nothing smartarse about offering a practical solution to an overheating problem.

If the mini fan is run with a supply of about 10 volts DC, the simple act that it is fully enclosed in the DVD player's cabinet means that no audible noise will escape.

No air need enter or leave the player for localised fan cooling to work.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:52:24 GMT, "valiumboy" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Try adding heatsinks, eg

DSE's cat# is Z8340.

I'd also consider ventilating the cover.

If you choose to use a fan, you may strike the same issue that I have with my Digitor G1605, namely that the SMPS provides 14V and 6V, not

12V and 5V. If this bothers you, or maybe if the noise is excessive, then you could use this circuit for voltage regulation and speed control:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Absolutely! I've seen it done inside little (500W - 2kW) motor drives where a 40mm x 40mm 12V fan reduced the peak temperature by over 50C, yet the average internal temperature only went up 5C. If an electrolytic cap was unlucky enough to be in the hot spot, it would last about 1/32nd as long as it should.

Have you checked all of the RAM chips for correctly soldered pins?

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Reply to
valiumboy

fan.

Reply to
valiumboy

fan.

Anyone with half a brain would find out what the problem really is before just throwing a fan in the box. I guess that doesn't include you, since you'd rather abuse people than do a little research for yourself.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

"Mr.T" = serial usenet public menace

** Bullshit .

Service techs are paid *only* to fix faults - not theorise about them.

The simplest and quickest fix that works is the one to use.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I guess that's your practice anyway. The question is what constitutes a fix, and what constitutes a botch, hack or future problem for the next tech?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Liar , the correct fix is the one to use , not some butcherous bit of home carpentry .

Reply to
chuckles

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:44:10 +1100, "Mr.T" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Normally DVDs aren't worth spending too much time on. However, the OP said he had three of the same model, so in this case he can afford to invest three times the amount of time he would normally spend on a one-off job. Furthermore, if this fault really is a common one, then the fourth job may be pure profit. Granted, there is very little you can do with smt stuff, or ASICs, but at the very least I would check the power supplies, including the onboard regulators, and I would test the caps for ESR. Before adding a fan, I would localise the fault with freeze spray and try some heatsinks.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

You have already theorised that is where the problem lies! A real tech would check first.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T