HP 5501A laser head repair

Does anyone know where I can get an old HP (now Agilent) 5501A laser head repaired? Tx.

Reply to
mtsnist

What's wrong with it? If the tube comes on but is weak, only solution is a new tube and that's most of the cost of the laser head..

I can take a look at it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

The power supply seems to be working, but the laser is not lasing. The laser is part of a metrology microscope in which the laser was left on almost continuously for the last 4 years. The microscope was recently moved to a new building at the beginning of the year. It was reassembled a few weeks ago and at that point the laser would not come back on.

What would you charge to look at it? Do you want to discuss this offl> "mtsnist" writes:

Reply to
mtsnist

I'll be happy to evaluate it but it sounds like you've already pretty much nailed it. If the power supply is working (the tube lights up inside) but there is no beam, the tube is almost certainly dead. These things have a long life, but being left on for years will kill them for sure.

If the tube is not lighting up inside, then it could still be the power supply or the tube could be very hard starting.

I have emailed you direct. If that doesn't get through, go to the feedback form at

and just send me a quick message.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents: