Replacing coax in RV camper etc??

I have a few questions about re-doing some things in my parents 1980's Wenebego RV.....

I would like to make it satelite ready & someone said I needed to put in a diferent grade of coax... is thee a easy way to rplace the cable withour tearing apart the walls. There are 2 wall jacks. It has an antenna on the roof.

How could I have it work on the antenna or the satelite? Is this a huge project?

Also... I am replacing the old cassette/am/fm radio with a cd/mp3 reciver... do I need any special brackets... how hard would it be to put speaker in the back & wire them to the new reciever?

Thanks in advance for any help here!

Reply to
tunereye

Jumpster Jiver

I'd leave the existing antenna and coax for use with local reception, and add the satellite receiver and antenna with a separate cable. Should be easier than removing the old cable and you'll get additional functionality.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

With such a short length of existing (lower grade) coax, the losses may be acceptable to a satellite system. However, switching between a Yagi-type antenna and the dish on the roof is more complicated than switching inside the RV, therefore I would also recommend running a separate coax cable to the roof for the dish.

Two separate feeds from the roof; a satellite receiver box; then use a simple A-B RF switch with 'F' connectors at the input to the TV to select between the satellite receiver and the Yagi-type TV antenna.

Reply to
tlbs

I think most satellite receivers today have a separate antenna input for OTA reception.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

When you say there is an antenna on the roof, I presume you mean that there is one of the old Winegard-type crank-up over-the-air VHF/UHF TV antennas. You want to add a dish somewhere. If this is correct, the next question is, where do you plan to put the satellite dish? Many people have good luck using a portable ground-mount dish. Small, light, easy to set up on a small tripod, easy to adjust the aiming. And you can run the wire wherever it is convenient. Dish Network and (what's the other one?) both offer easy setup ground mounts.

A hard-mounted roof dish is a PITA to add to an existing vehicle.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey