repairing an APC UPS

We have an APC UPS that has gone faulty.

APC will not supply a circuit diagram, and do hnot have a repair facility - their advice is to throw it away and buy aa new one.

If I do that, it certainly won't be an APC one that I buy.

In the meantime I'd still l ike to try and fix the one we have. Has anyone got any experience of this, or any schematics even?

thanks

Reply to
Luke Siemaszko

Basically a DC to AC inverter with voltage and current protection circuits. However there are also wave shaping circuits in the AC production section of the device. In-depth troubleshooting and diagnostics may result in determining what device is causing the fault however getting appropriate replacement components may be the challenge. BE advised, the circuitry produces voltages that may be considered lethal when in operation. Follow all the safety rules endemic to this kind of service. IMHO: APC makes some rather nice products, almost all are not consumer serviceable.<

Reply to
Art

Hardly. If my car goes wrong I expect to be able to fix it. If my stereo (assuming it isn't a really cheap one) goes wrong I wouldn't expect to fix it.

How would you propose fixing a soft drink ??????????

Reply to
Luke Siemaszko

Reply to
Luke Siemaszko

its usually a bad battery

Mark

Reply to
Mark

indeed, but there are no LEDS on the front panel, nothing at all - would a bad battery cause everything to die ?

Reply to
Luke Siemaszko

I have seen a bad battery cause a UPS to be totally DOA many times.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Fowkes

Most certainly. if the Battery is totally dead, the UPS will not do a sausage. Test with car batteries matching the voltage reqd. If it springs into life, buy new batteries. I have about a dozen UPS devices around the house all bought as Dead. New batteries fixed EVERY One.

Range from APC BackUPS300 to SmartUPS1400VA, must be a few quids worth if bought new. Gel batteries are pretty cheap nowadays too

Reply to
TheDragon

Some of these have automotive-type blade fuses in the battery line on the circuit board. Also, as has been mentioned, try a new battery. I have had good luck with Power Sonic and Panasonic brand gel cells.

Note that most of these will go into a test mode for a few seconds on startup, and when this happens, quite a large current is drawn from the battery for a moment. If you are lashing up some random battery you have lying around, use wires at least as large as the ones already in the UPS. I tried to start up a APC Smart-UPS 600 with not quite the right batteries and a cheap ~20 gauge clip lead and melted the clip lead.

If you get it running, but it complains about a low battery even when you know the battery is fully charged, go to

and read the answer to "Q: I replaced the battery in my APC Smart-UPS and now it thinks the battery is low all the time. How do you fix this?"

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

We are using a fair number of UPS's around here. We found the APC to be one of the best. You will find that ALL of the UPS manufactures will NOT supply ANY service manuals or schematics, or parts.

If your APC unit is dead, there is a 99.9% chance that it is the battery. Most of their models go in to a protect mode, and completely shut down when the batteries are warn down.

Replace the batteries with the same amp hour and voltage rating, in the same combination. This is a safety thing for having the proper charge and load current. If you buy a set of generic batteries, make sure that the terminals match, and that you transfer the thermo fuse (if there is one), that is one stuck on to the battery assembly. This fuse is very important to have in there.

--

JANA
_____