Repair broken Tek 485 or buy good used 2465/A/B?

I don't see any indication for X position on the time/div switch...?

fazeka

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

sorry,it says ext.horiz.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

IIRC Maxim made them available to all comers, but no one else wanted very many of them.

Tek could have had another vendor make them:they just did not want to spend the money.

Unless and until someone decides to make third party parts to FULLY support at least some Tek models (some replacement assemblies using merchant parts would be needed) the best solution is leave old Teks to Tek collectors and support someone who will commit to the analog oscilloscope business.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

What about the 2245, 2247?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Bret Ludwig wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have been out of this message loop but have a question on the 2465.

This is the model I have, however, it has a bad chip - I believe U800.

This is the famous chip that is no longer made, failed due to heat, and isn't replaceable.

I found another 2465 that has a different board (without this chip). Are the boards compatible? Another words, can I swap boards without a problem?

Reply to
Steve

AFAIK, ALL the 2465's had a U800...

Reply to
JW

Steve wrote in news:Xns99FAD8AA1FE76nobodynobodycom@216.196.97.136:

Different animals,LOTs of TEK-madeICs,and not very serviceable. I'd never own one.

no such animal as a 2445/65 without the horizontal output IC;TEK never made any substitute.

Now some guy contacted me a few years ago wanting me to evaluate his "U800" replacement board,but I didn't have the means to do any evaluation. I suggested he post to the sci.electronics NGs,he would have gotten lots of testers,maybe even someone with real cal standards to do a decent evaluation.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

JW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes.

the only thing different between a 2445 and a 2465 was the main PCboard itself;that is what determined the BW of the scope,it's internal PC elements.(intentionally)

All the ICs and hybrids were the same on both scopes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Michael A. Terrell snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net posted to sci.electronics.equipment:

What US made scopes? Both Tek and HP moved their manufacturing to Taiwan, Malaysia and China over a decade ago.

Reply to
JosephKK

And Singapore too.

Even so, scopes have not changed a whole lot in a decade. Hell, I regularly use an old Tek from the mid-sixties and it's just fine even if the calibration lab at work hates me for it.

The one thing that HAS changed is that digital storage systems have come along, and they are much, much better for finding transient glitches than the old storage tube scopes were. However, for just about anything else there's nothing wrong with an old analogue scope.

--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Reply to

So then "a used US made scope" would mean one that was made in the US more than 10 years ago (by your method).

I frequently drive by the Tektronix campus in Beaverton, OR and most of the buildings seem to be leased to companies for other uses (daycare centers, offices, warehouses, etc.) The eastern edge was sold to the adjacent strip-mall to make a significant expansion and up-scale including a nice multiplex movie theater.

Their semiconductor fab (on the northwest corner of the campus, right next to the fire station) was sold to Maxim and has their name on the building and the signs at that entrance to the campus.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

I said 'buy a used US made scope', but I didn't specify a date. I still have two older tek alanog scopes, one US made, the other is a small battery powered portable made by Sony, for Tektronix.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida