Repair Tektronix 485 or purchase B&K 1590a?

Hello, I have a Tektronix 485 in the shop. The repair bill could be as high as $300. I have been offered a B&k 1590a for $380 . I do not know the B&K and have never owned one of their scopes. I like the 485 but it is pretty old. What should I do-fix or buy the B&K? Thank you, Tim

Reply to
Tim Dudley

I recommend doing neither. After using Tek, you will be very unhappy with B&K. I would buy another used Tek scope. The market for non-digital scopes has plummeted. Look on ebay. I bet you can replace your Tek with something similar for under $200 - more like $100 if you willing to wait for a deal. My favorite deals generally occur on slightly older scopes like 453 and 454. Look for the "A" versions which have larger screens. These may be slightly lower BW than the 485 but they were built better and do not have ICs (all transistors) so if something dies you have a chance of fixing it.

Reply to
Len S

Hi, I am using an old 453a as a sub for the 485. I will forget about the B&K. The 485 is functional right now (repair bill-$70) but the bandwidth is limited. I believe it will still be alright for audio applications. Thank you for all the help! Tim

Reply to
Tim Dudley