Re: Extending the life of a Tek 2465?

DaveC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

The U400 hybrid IC in the Tek 24xx 'scope models is infamous for its > short life. > > Has anyone attempted heat-sinking it (if it is not already) and > blowing it with a small fan (a la pentium and PowerPC)? > > Just crossed my mind in between random other thoughts...

I haven't heard of anyone doing it,but it would seem to lend itself to being heatsinked,the metal substrate is exposed on the topside of the IC,and there's threaded studs to secure a HS. I don't think there's enough clearance for a fan(cabinet-HS clearance)

It certainly couldn't hurt. Although,I suspect it's some problem in the die construction itself.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

DaveC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

That's not the horizontal output IC being discussed,that's the CH2 preamp hybrid IC.

Odd,but most of the hybrids with this type of HS don't even need a HS,they don't get warm at all,but the H-output IC doesn't have a HS,yet does get warm. I guess it's just a fancy package to clamp the hybrid substrate to the PCB socket.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

mike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@juno.com:

IIRC,it was U800 that is the 40 pin DIP horiz output IC. (and not a hybrid)

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply to
Jim Yanik

mike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@juno.com:

edit

On this particular IC,the metal substrate is on the TOP side of the IC.Just right for adding a heat sink! The PCB does not dissipate any heat from the IC except for what comes thru the leads.I suspect the studs were intended for a HS that someone else thought unnecessary,or an extra expense.

I would not overtighten those nuts,it might cause IC failure itself;mechanical strain.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply to
Jim Yanik

mike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@juno.com:

the studs are mounted to the PCB.I don't even know why the engineers felt they needed them.You could leave the nuts off and it would make no difference.The bottom of the IC plastic package sits right on the PCB,the substrate IIRC,doesn't hang past the ends of the IC,there's notches in the ends of the IC for the studs. If I remember right.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

DaveC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

If the option(s) are not installed,or does not require a signal pickoff,there are jumpers that are installed;see your schematic for the vertical section.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

DaveC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Looking at the pix on your site,it seems to me you have adequate contact already.Maybe if you can find a surplus HS a tad longer,sure,go ahead,but I doubt you'll gain much in dissipation over what you have now. IMO,a different style HS with fins closed to the center of the IC substrate would be best,as the HS cross-section(thickness) limits what heat gets dissipated. But hey,it's your scope.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

DaveC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

ISTR that the metal substrate is exposed on the top side of the IC for most of the length of the IC. You should be getting pretty decent thermal contact.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net