I have a good tek 2465

Works fine, but are there any recommended routine replacements for the no doubt aging caps in the power supplies??

TIA!

and happy holidays

Reply to
tek_freak

I don't think replacing capacitors is part of a service routine :) I have an old Tek 453 scope and it's virgin inside and has been used extensively over the past couple decades I've owned it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Meat Plow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

that's because it doesn't have any switching power supplies in it. They are tough on electrolytics.

Their life will depend on how much use the scope gets.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's a tough one. Rule number one: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But, there were a few years where electrolytics leaked and made a mess of the circuit board. At least look for little dots of electrolyte on the board near electrolytics.

Then there's another time bomb waiting in electronic gear. Had a LCD monitor that had an open cap (actually just high ESR) in the switching regulator. The average voltage out was still 5V, but the peak voltage of 20V took out the electronics board. I think we're gonna see a LOT more of this type of failure in the coming decade. I'm still a fan of rule number one... mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Reply to

mike wrote in news:fVgbj.25523$gF4.19513@trnddc02:

TEKs 1700 series of video monitors had an orange 1000uf/10v cap on it's 5v line,and the cap had too high an ESR,and the PS regulated off that 5v line,so when the cap began to fail,the OTHER supplies climbed really high,and the +40v unreg supply rose to +60 or more,and the PCB under the HV oscillator xstr charred due to the excess dissipation,and then became conductive and overloaded the PS,putting it into current limit("chirp" or burst mode").We even had caps burst open. I ended up Dremelling out the charred area,filling with epoxy,re-laying the traces and setting eyelets.(got to be pretty good at it) I had to do that on a lot of 1700 power supply boards,before we changed the

1000uf /10v cap to a better grade low-ESR cap.Eventually,we changed vendors and all the electrolytics used were better grade,low ESR caps.

That was one of my most common repair tasks,re-capping power supply boards(all switchers),throughout a number of TEK products.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik