Radius Intellicolor Display/20e Microcontroller Problem?

My Radius IntelliColor Display/20e starts up green, but with a strong green that suggests having the brightness turned up way too high. The green is like a overall very strong wash, pretty much unusable since it's so intense. During these periods, the focus is also out. After a period of time it reverts to normal and is a lovely sharp monitor. That period of time seems to be lengthening.

Sometimes, after a while, the green seems to go away, but the over-wash and poor focus remains. Then still later the image goes back to good.

At a guess, the microcontroller that handles the settings is having some difficulty and the monitor is starting up with some settings in their unbiased state. Perhaps its (the microcontroller's) 5v (?) supply has gone wonky--possibly expiring electrolytic caps? Or maybe the memory element that stores the settings (Flash, EEPROM?) has reached the end of its life with too many cycles?

Anyway, I'm handy with soldering tools from axial caps all the way down to

208 pin quad flat packs. What I'm not any good at is diagnostics.

I think that this monitor has an equivalent Sony model, but I'm not certain. It's definitely a trinitron. I can just make out the two horizontal lines at 1/3 intervals.

I hope that someone is familiar with this problem and can point me at the likely culprit in terms of component(s) that need replacing.

Thank you for any helpful or humorous suggestions,

Jeff

--
A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body.
Reply to

"Jeff Walther" wrote: > My Radius IntelliColor Display/20e starts up green, but with a > strong > green that suggests having the brightness turned up way too > high. The > green is like a > overall very strong wash, pretty much unusable since it's so > intense. > During these periods, the focus is also out. After a period > of time it > reverts to normal and is a lovely sharp monitor. That period > of time > seems to be lengthening. > > Sometimes, after a while, the green seems to go away, but the > over-wash > and poor focus remains. Then still later the image goes back > to good. > > At a guess, the microcontroller that handles the settings is > having some > difficulty and the monitor is starting up with some settings > in their > unbiased state. Perhaps its (the microcontroller's) 5v (?) > supply has > gone wonky--possibly expiring electrolytic caps? Or maybe > the memory > element that stores the settings (Flash, EEPROM?) has reached > the end of > its life with too many cycles? > > Anyway, I'm handy with soldering tools from axial caps all the > way down to > 208 pin quad flat packs. What I'm not any good at is > diagnostics. > > I think that this monitor has an equivalent Sony model, but > I'm not > certain. It's definitely a trinitron. I can just make out > the two > horizontal lines at 1/3 intervals. > > I hope that someone is familiar with this problem and can > point me at the > likely culprit in terms of component(s) that need replacing. > > Thank you for any helpful or humorous suggestions, > > Jeff > > -- > A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move > a body.

I too have a Radius IntelliColor Display/20e monitor with the exact same problem that you are/were experiencing. I read the suggested

yet. I was wondering if you had any luck yet?

Thanks!

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/Video-Radius-Intellicolor-Display-20e-Microcontroller-Problem-ftopict142733.html

[...]

Dear friends!

I have the same problem exactly! I tryed Isaak?s advise - unfortunatelly it doesn?t work in my case. Did you anybody find some work-around?

I would very grateful for any suggestions (exsept - "buy a new one" :)

Ilya Colley, Moscow, Russia

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL:
http://www.macforumz.com/Video-Radius-Intellicolor-Display-20e-Microcontroller-Problem-ftopict142733.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd).  Report abuse:
http://www.macforumz.com/eform.php?p=595977
Reply to
iconed