Solid green screen problem on Sony TV - KV-36FS

Hi, I have a 5 year old Sony KV-36FS70K which today developed an odd fault.

On switching on, the entire screen is a uniform bright green, with a constant flicker every four seconds. It's not a green tint, with picture visible underneath, but a solid block green. Audio for the chosen channel is unaffected and clear, and the flicker makes no sound either.

This happens on all inputs, from all sources both front and back of the TV.

However... if I go to the PAP (Picture and Picture) mode, which divides the screen into two halves for two channel watching, the left side screen remains this constant green, while the right side screen displays a perfect colour picture !!??? Also, if I go into the multi PIP mode with the 12 little pictures around a central main one, the 12 little still pictures are perfect / normal colour, while the main one in the middle is the bright green. In both cases, the entire main screen still has the constant flicker.

As the screen is still able to display secondary images in colour, I'm guessing (hoping ! ) that the tube is still ok, and that this is some sort of settings glitch. Somehow, the primary image channel is corrupted into a plain bright green, but secondary picture in picture channels aren't. Teletext is fine and in colour also, providing I use it in full screen dedicated mode, if I choose to have it as text over the picture, it's bright green screen time again.

Family have been interrogated and tortured and say they haven't altered anything, and quite frankly I don't think there's any settings within the remote that can cause this. I've tried a power off re-set, and checked all the standard user settings on the user level menus. I'm not averse to going into the engineer menu, I had to do that when I first got it to set up the NTSC scart mode, but have not been in there since for 5 years and it's run faultlessly until today.

Any bodies got any ideas?

Reply to
aeromys

Or cab anyone reccommend a specific TV engineer type forum or group that may be able to help? I'm desperate here folks :-)

Reply to
aeromys

There's no better than this one. :)

Possible causes inlude CRT H-K short and green output driver failure.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Trying to give you a definitive answer based solely on the info you gave is a little like divination, but it sounds like your tube is OK, and that you otherwise have some problem in a video output section somewhere.

I'd guess you're going to need a schematic and a scope for this one.

Reply to
Mr. Land

Thanks all, I was sort of hoping there would be a magic answer, but in reality I guess there never is :-( Poor old thing will have to go off to the Sony shop. I'll have to hire a crane !

Reply to
aeromys