Question for the Brits here, what do you call a Belling-Lee connector?

What do you call a Belling-Lee connector?

I know in the US they call them PAL connectors because PAL TVs sold by grey market importers in the 1980s used them.

As a joke I have referred to the ones on US TVs as NTSC connectors. Just about everywhere I know, they are always called "F" connectors.

Here F connectors are used for cable TV and satellite wiring. Cable boxes have (if they are old enough to have an RF out) F connectors on them. DBS boxes that have RF outs use the Belling-Lee connectors.

TV sets, including the ones with DBS-T inputs, VCRs (no new ones here) and DBS-T converters all have Belling-Lee inputs and outputs.

The reason I ask is that I am using compression connectors for everything now, and have no trouble getting compression F connectors locally, BNC and RCA connectors (I have some old radios with RCA antenna jacks) mail order, but can only find one mention of a Belling-Lee compression connector and that was in a PDF catalog from New Zealand.

I spent a long time looking for them on the UK eBay site, and several UK distributors but could only find the the kind that require you to manually assemble them. (screw them together).

Am I wasting my time? Are there none of them available? Am I calling them by the wrong name, which is why I can't find them?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order

Ken

Thanks, but what do you call it?

Aerial plug? Antenna plug? Belling Lee Plug?

Geoff.

-- Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

I have never heard of it called a Belling-Lee connector, and I started messing about with TV in England in about 1960..... AFAIK, it's always called a TV aerial plug - this link to RS Components could be useful:

(RS

Components used to be called RadioSpares, back when I were a lad....)

Hope this helps, Richard

Reply to
Richard

about

have

now,

that

order

it. :-)

How about TV coax connector (in the UK that is)

What do Americans call the one shown in the above pic? and I will add to my
UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

Reply to
N_Cook

Belling-Lee coax plug/socket.

I might be able to find the manufacturer's original part number for you if I searched through the back-issues of Wireless World; but if it is that difficult to find, I don't suppose anyone will recognise it.

The characteristic impedance of those connectors was 75 ohms. The last batch I had from R.S. Components, about two years ago, had sub-standard insulation and were mechanically unsound (they fell apart at about the fifth time of use). Needless to say, they hadn't been made by Belling & Lee.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Belling-Lee is its name, but that's why I asked, I had no idea what people actually called them. From what I can tell, Belling-Lee is only used in the Wikipedia.

Thanks, Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Great, thanks.

99% of people in the US would not call them anything, they have not, and will never see them.

The few people that have are usually SWL's (some Grundig radios used them), people who bought or sold PAL TV sets and VCRs (which is how they got the name "PAL connectors".)

RadioShack calls the adapter a "European TV adapter", but says it connects an F connector to a PAL-type antenna jack.

Universal Radio calls them "PAL", as in PAL M (male) or PAL F. to F female adaptor.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Ok, thanks.

I'm sure the ones I get here are not either. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Older ones will call them a Belling-Lee, strangely enough. But they are pretty universal in the UK for all terrestrial TV and FM radio aerials, and have been since the outset. Way before PAL was thought of.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have always known them as Belling-Lee plugs going back to when I started in the TV repair business back in 1970. "Co-ax plugs" is the general workshop speak for them. My drawer that I keep them in here, is actually labeled 'Belling-Lee Connectors' and contains sockets as well as plugs.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

IEC 169-2

--
Adrian C
Reply to

them),

name

order

it. :-)

I'm not old enough to have called them or heard them being called Belling Lee, only vaguely aware of the term. Even the UK "Bible", RS catalogue , cops out and calls them "standard plugs and sockets " and "aluminium plug" for the ubiquitous one I URL'd pic of before , how ridiculous is that?

Reply to
N_Cook

them),

name

order

it. :-)

a masterclass on them

N_Cook

That's pretty much how I was taught to do them by the 'old boy' that every workshop used to have back then. Sid, ours was called ...

When not soldering the centre pin on those sorts of jobs where you just wanted to be out of the house before the fleas bit you to death or you caught something, we used to either bend the centre conductor, as the guy in that tutorial says, but a double 'S' shaped bend rather than a single, or else we used to 'crimp' the pin to the centre conductor where it emerged from the nylon bit, using a blunt pair of sidecutters.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

in

I assume RS cannot use a "trade name" for generic (Hoover for vacuum cleaner etc) even if defunct company name

Now all I need is a masterclass on fitting BNC connectors

Reply to
N_Cook

Not defunct:

Maybe not the same company, but not defunct.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

After I posted this I looked. If you follow their products down to coaxial connectors you get to

That's the standard Belling-Lee connector, although you have to download the PDF file to see it.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Geoffrey S. Mendelson writes

usually "coax plug" or "TV aerial plug".

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Also used in Spain, if that's of interest.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)