Question about caller ID

    I realize this is somewhat removed from the topic of the newsgroup, but
I searched for another group and found none specific to my question
type.  Since this group is filled with knowledgeable people in
electronics, I thought I might find an answer.

    I have several cordless phones in my home hooked to my single phone
line.  They are both different models by the same manufacturer (AT&T and
GE), and of course different brands.  My question is why does the data
listed for Caller ID differ from phone to phone?  One will list the name
of the person while another might only list the town along with the
phone number.  I thought the data was supplied by the originating phone
company and therefore would be the same for each phone.

    Just curious.  Thanks.

Re: Question about caller ID

That's correct -- it is and it should be.

Presumably different manufacturers select different CID items to display.
Check the user manuals -- it might be possible to change what's displayed.

Re: Question about caller ID
    This appears to be the case, but I see no mention in the user manuals
as to how to select what is displayed.  It is a little bizarre that
phones made by the same manufacturer display different data when a call
comes in.  Of course they are probably "Contract made" rather than made
by the name of the company on the phone.

    Smitty Two seems to be somewhat correct in that at least one of the
phones puts the name for caller ID as it resides in the directory (i.e.
Johnny) in the phone.  Others appear to use the listing as it appears in
their phone company customer records (i.e. John Smith).

Re: Question about caller ID

Because you can't... The dsigner made that decision for you.

Which means nothing. Possibly designed by different branches of the
same company. Though I am confused since you said one was a GE and the
other was an ATT...

Good guess, that is what i'd think too.

Caller ID information varies by provider, country and other factors...

Re: Question about caller ID

    Just to clarify this point.  I have two AT&T phones and two GE cordless
phones, each different models.

Re: Question about caller ID
I always keep my Bell south (at&t) land line phone Unplugged, except for
when I want to use it.
Nobody here but little doggy    www.cattledog.com    www.acdca.org   and
I.We have some stormy weather going on here right now.That LOUD clap of
thunder scared the pants off of her.
cuhulin

Re: Question about caller ID

Ah, understood now...

Re: Question about caller ID

Caller ID in the UK appears to supply only the caller's number and world
location if appropriate ie nothing on that score if the call comes from
within the UK or "International" if not.  If the caller has their number
restricted with the phone company, it comes up "witheld". The only phone
that puts up a name, is the big multifunctional one in the workshop, and
that one only if the caller's name details are programmed into the dial
memory, so that it recognises them. It's high time that legislation was
changed to force cold sales calls to be identified in caller ID, as some of
the companies are getting pretty clever at 'disguising' the number that they
are calling from, so you pick the phone up to take what you think is a
customer call, only to get " Hello sir, my name's Mandy-Lou, and I'm calling
to let you know that your address has been picked to receive a free .... "
at which point the phone goes gently (!) back down.

Arfa

Re: Question about caller ID

The word withheld seems to come from the phone. One phone I have
displays it, the other does not.

Pennsylvania allows customers to select "anonymous call reject"
if you pay the extra money for caller ID. I don't know if any
other place has it, but I sure miss it.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel snipped-for-privacy@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Well, yes. I'm pretty sure that is the case, and that the phone does it as a
result of reading some flag bit in the data stream that's been set by the
phone company to tell the phone that it's not going to be supplied with
number data.

You can opt for this feature also in the UK. The trouble is, many of the
shops that I deal with withhold their number legitimately, because they
don't want customers to get hold of that particular number, so by opting to
reject all 'withhelds', you can also end up rejecting calls that you really
do need to take. Some institutions like the police, for instance, also
withhold their number, for obvious reasons. I don't know about where you
are, but here in the UK, cold sales calling has now become such a nuisance,
that sometimes, you can receive 10 or more calls in a day, often carrying on
until 9 or 10 at night. This is presumably after some company that you have
had legitimate dealings with, has sold off your details to an Indian call
centre company. That's why I think that it's high time that people's privacy
was restored, by making cold callers electronically identify themselves, so
that a rejection filter can be set up for them alone, or at least, your
caller ID can identify them, giving you the choice of whether or not you
wish to pick up on the call.

Arfa

Re: Question about caller ID

Where? That would be great.

We have the do not call list here, but it doesn't apply to political calls
or charities so while it's not quite useless, it leaves much to be desired.

Re: Question about caller ID
There is a married Irish woman in Bognor Regis,England, married to that
Irish guy.She has phoned me quite a few times before.I don't know if she
has caller ID though.I am not going to ask her about that.She works at
her home (via an IBM laptop computer WSCC gave her to use) for West
Sussex County Council.
cuhulin

Site Timeline