Caller ID over USB

I would like to have a device that inserts into the POTS line and gives caller ID through the USB port. If I can also obtain length of call, that is great, of not, ok. Don't care about outgoing calls.

A brief search on google gives all sorts of wondrous high end devices with this capability. I want less.

Hopefully someone here has designed or heard of such a thing.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh

There are various caller ID ICs out there that spit out serial data. (Effectively, they're a MODEM, well, er, a DEM, on a chip -- I believe caller ID is done using standard Bell modem protocols at 1200bps.) The simplest thing to do would be to combine this with a USBSerial adapter (such as the FTDI232) and you'd be all done, no new development necessary.

For a more challenging project, you could implement the demodulator and everything else in a so-called 'USB microcontroller' (one that has USB packetizing/encoding hardware built-in). For a really challenging project, use a regular microcontroller with bit-banged USB.

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Many of them don't do caller ID? At least not without some amount of hacking?

But it's an excellent option; I hadn't thought of that.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I read in sci.electronics.design that Aubrey McIntosh wrote (in ) about 'Caller ID over USB', on Fri, 21 Jan 2005:

I want an interstellar spaceship that is not a wondrous high-end device. I want less, too.

John Woodgate

What's wrong with a USB modem?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The USB modem idea only costs a little more than an Olimex order.

Thanks. Another Google search turned up

I saw some prices of about $5 @ 1,000 ea. so I suppose they are pocket money even in single quantity.

More reading at

says not to use the 245 for new designs, but to use the FT245BM or FT2232C instead. Will read the data sheets soon.

Does anyone have a comments on a specific caller ID chip with respect to these USB chips?

I did bit bang 3 channels of RS-232 on a daughter board for my project. Somehow I think bit-bang USB is over the top.

The microcontroller board picture is online

I'm going to stay with PIC projects for a while. However, I do have hobby space on that board, both SOIC and DIP, so maybe I can do a one-off without a new PCB.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh