Proview 986m 19" monitor

Monitor erupted in much smoke and loud hissing. Video scrambled but stayed up. I lunged for the power cord behind it, and unplugged it within 2 seconds. I took it apart, confident in finding some burst cap or two. Nothing. Everything on close visual inspection looks good. No burned traces or bulging/fried components. The board fuse is OK. I've repaired this monitor twice since new in 2000. A couple caps in the PS (would't start), and reflowed neck board (video brightness up/down). Could a fbt do this, and not show any signs? Something definatly gassed out violently. It smelled more like burned insulation than the acrid fried cap smell. I'm not competent to power up the board with it apart. JR

Reply to
JR North

The odor notwithstanding, the smoke and hissing suggest an outgassing capacitor.

If that's not it, there /has/ to be some visible problem.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Perhaps the rhinalogical equivalent of the "stethoscope" for tracking down mechanical squeeks. A drinking straw stuffed in a nostril ? Caps can outgas at the hidden pin face , not just the "cross-hair" weak spot.

Reply to
N_Cook

Hiss usually = something formerly sealed discharging a gas. Maybe you missed something in your visual.

Meat Plow

Found it. C635 10uf 250V bulging slightly on top and tiny trace of black at the X center. JR

Reply to
JR North

I recently 'baked' a PNY video card to try to reflow some bad solder joints. Ended up with some electrolytic s that had a black dot over the X. Replace them and now the card works. It is an NVidia 8500 chipped card with a BGA GPU. Most of the caps looked ok. I suspect the ones that dotted were part of the problem. PNY isn't known to use reliable components since their card was much less expensive than the real NVidia counterpart.

Meat Plow

I've once seen blown fbt which had tiny hole on side. It was hard to see but obviously there must be either that or some cap. An ESR meter is a must to find out these almost failed caps, make life much easier.

br ismo

Reply to
Ismo Salonen