Progressive Inductive probe wire tracer

I have been looking at these. I saw one once and it seemed to respond well to noise in a room, such as from lighting. I have been making a noise detector for a while, which has selectable types of noise, electrostatic, magnetic, light, and vibration. I really need to just get one of these and experiment, but the Progressive (now Tempo or Textron or Greenlee ??) probe say inductive while I really thinks its a basic electrostatic probe. I'm thinking of modifying it since its so inexpensive. I don't know if it has any filtering of frequencies in the circuit. Anyone know about these ?

greg

Reply to
GregS

I've been using these for years, and they are definitely inductive. The reason you may think they are electrostatic is the scratchy noise that comes from moving in and out of minor magnetic fields that surround any metallic circuit.

If you are really looking into noise detection, try one of these (the Model 245 at the bottom of the page)

nobody >