live wire signal tracer

I'm looking for a low cost (live) line tracer (110v 20A) like an rf signal generator and tracer. I'm looking to trace wires in live bx and emt in apartment buildings.

Would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

Reply to
*selah*

How about plugging in an electrically noisy item like a drill or anything with brushes in the motor, then using a portable AM radio tuned to a blank space on the dial as a detector. Wave the antanna at various wires. When you get noise coming from the radio that's the line your tool is plugged into.

Reply to
kell

Look in the yellow pages for a telephone internal wiring guy. They have those things.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise