Powered Subwooker problem...please help if you can.

I am not sure if anyone can help me. But I thought I'd ask before I buy a new one. I have a pair of Infinity IL 50 home speakers. They are a tower speaker with a powered sub built into it. When you apply a signal to these speakers they will kick on by themselves. What my problem is, my left channel does not power up at all...in other words it is dead. Let me explain further, cause my situatuion might help me a get an answer from an electonics guru.

This amp will turn on. When it wants to more or less. This is what is frustrating about the whole situation. Let say the amp is working, and all of a sudden the power to the speaker is cut off...via a poweroutage or unplugging the unit. When power is reapplied to the amp. It will not power up. But, if the speaker sits for a week or so and no power is applied to it. When it is plugged back in the led will show that it is working...and it does! But, when the power is disrupted it will not turn back on right away.

What would cause this in the power supply. I'm pretty sure that is where the problem lies. But I don't understand what would cause this. I was told that a resistor in this amp/power supply is faulty. It will lose it's value when the power is disrupted and will slowly get the value back over time. (this is a common problem with this speaker/amp). I have scoured the net for an answer but nothing is out there. I don't know if I believe the line about the resistor. But if anyone has had any experience with this speaker and problem or just kinda know what you are talking about I would greatly appreciate your help! Thanks in advance!

Reply to
favre95

Much more likely to be an electrolytic capacitor at fault. Could even be a bad joint.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

there are two basic type of intermittent failure modes in electronics: mechanical (vibration related) and thermal (heat related).

occasionally there may be a design issue (such as a cheap switching supply which uses an astable multivibreator which doesn't always know what to do when it wakes up.

as your subwoofer amp has a 250 watt rating i would say that it not safe for a user to work on. it is time to take this to qualified personnel.

Reply to
TimPerry

Sounds like the speaker/amp has a signal sensing circuit. When power or an audio signal is sensed, the amp goes from standby to on. For some reason, the sensitivity is higher in the one speaker after it's been off for a while. There may be a pot that can be adjusted to improve it's sensitivity. These pots can be very sensitive and a slight turn, can improve it's sensitivity dramatically. Is the amp built into the tower speaker or stand alone? There maybe a user adjustable knob. Resistors don't change like described.

Reply to
rv31rv