Philips 27PT543S television shuts down after 5 seconds.

This Philips 27PT543S turns off after a few seconds. The sound and picture work fine and then the power shuts down. I don't have a schematic for this set so I decided to resolder some questionable connections to see if that would help. It didn't. I then suggested that my client take it to a servicer that works on Philips products thinking they would have better access to their technical support. So he picked it up took it to another shop and for a $40 estimate fee, they reported back to him that the CRT was weak and needed replacement. I tested the CRT and it has very good emission. The question now is why is this shutting down? I can't imagine a CRT that tests good on my B&K 467 analyzer is causing the set to go into shutdown. Has anyone come across this problem?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Don't know about your CRT test but a CRT with low emission (and other faults) has been known to cause shut down problems as reported by other here in SER.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It MAY need a horizontal drive kit. Not sure if your model is the same, but it's common. Just unplug the CRT socket, just to see if the TV will stay on. Also, look for discolored surface mount parts in the horizontal drive section. Dani.

Reply to
Dani

I think I did try removing the CRT socket and it still shut down. What is included in the horizontal drive kit?

Thanks for your reply.