Panasonic PVS350D S-VHS Camcorder questions

My appreciation to readers for answers to any part of this post ;)

I recently found a Panasonic PVS350D S-VHS camcorder at a local 'thrift store'; it had no power supply and the tape door was stuck open and wouldn't latch. After disassembly and manually resetting the door latch, when power is applied, the various controls light their corresponding LEDs where appropriate, but none of the camera functions actually works -- when a tape is inserted, there is a reel-drive solenoid engaging, but nothing else works and with or without a tape, the machine powers off after about ten seconds. The capstan shaft rotates continuously and the head drum spins briefly on power up. If any of this sounds like some sequencing error due to mechanical issues, I would be pleased to hear it. I don't have any documentation.

If on the other hand component failure is likely, then I would like to detach the camera head from the deck and use it as a 400 line (or so) Y/C studio camera (adapted into a new enclosure). I would appreciate hearing from someone who can see the schematic if the camera could be made to work without the rest of the deck. I would also appreciate scans of schematics and wiring diagrams if possible ;) I would build necessary interfaces to the focus and zoom motor circuits and any other camera controls previously handled by the deck electronics; I am only concerned that camera video circuits are not spread around the entire machine.

Many thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

After building a readable PDF of the service manual from junk provided by a manual seller, I can confirm that indeed the camera may be operated independently of the deck. I have built an interface and am currently testing the camera; in shooting an EIA 1956 chart, it is giving me

430 (clear - max 450) lines of horizontal resolution. Camera controls will be housed in a control console; for a good single chip color camera, to me this is well worth the effort.

Michael

Reply to
msg