VHS and S-VHS camcorder design - surely some reader has seen schematics?

Hello again,

Please, anyone, surely someone has had reason to peruse schematics (where they exist) for full-sized camcorders (VHS, S-VHS); I am hoping to get a service manual for my target device from a fellow on craigslist, but he hasn't been replying to emails ;(

I wish to employ the camera head (lens, ccd array, amps, etc.) separate from the main pcb in my particular camera, to make a >400 line resolution studio camera (can't afford online prices for used video gear). I have no real idea what functions are onboard in general and which are distributed through out the main pcb. I posted specifics in an earlier thread in this NG and others but got no replies, so _in general_, what sort of signals are on the connectors of these camera subassemblies, and which if any of the huge number of brands and models of consumer and prosumer (S-VHS) camcorders have camera subassemblies which could conceivably be adapted to stand-alone use? On my particular camera head, it appears that there are perhaps two dozen pins (including power and gnd) to the main PCB and only the camera subassembly has shielded pcbs and cans, the main PCB is a mix of digital and power chips for the most part. Since from what partial data is available online I think that this camera is used in a number of models with differing decks and feature sets that it should have some sort of usable signal set, and it would make manufacturing sense to engineer reuse into some components in a product line, that I stand a chance of succeeding here. I am also assuming from the quality and size of the optics and the stated specs of the camcorder as a whole, that NTSC resolution would be in excess of 400 lines (a limitation of the recording technology in this case and the camera could be a bit more, like 470 from some anecdotal evidence).

I would just appreciate anyone near a filing cabinet that may contain manuals to grab one and take a look at what sort of signals are available and required at the camera interface -- if you have any of the Panasonic or Quasar S-VHS camcorders from late 1980s - mid 1990s that would be my target product line in this case.

Thanks and regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

msg ha escrito:

have you tried eserviceinfo.com?

Thanks for your reply; yes, early on in my search, but it had nothing for my target models or even 's-vhs camcorder'. I have not tried just 'vhs camcorder' as that is a huge category, and I wanted some advice here first for a target model. In my case, I believed that only the S-VHS camcorder manuals are useful (as my camera is from one) and represent a higher-order of camera subassembly than found in VHS camcorders. Please suggest any model of VHS camcorder that may be in the same 'league' if you can.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

After building a readable PDF of the service manual from junk provided by a manual seller, I can confirm that indeed my camera may be operated independently of the deck. I have built an interface and am currently testing the camera; in shooting an EIA 1956 chart, it is giving me

430 (clear - max 450) lines of horizontal resolution. Camera controls will be housed in a control console; for a good single chip color camera, to me this is well worth the effort.

I can only confirm that this is possible for my target device; I have no experience with any other camcorder.

Michael

Reply to
msg

Congrats on the recent projects. I admire the patience and persistence of anyone that is capable of reverse engineering modern electronic equipment, particularly when the goal is to get a piece of equipment to operate differently than it was intended to.

Reply to
Wild_Bill