uPDxxxxx chips datasheets (camcorder, vcr, etc)

Does anyone have a repository of datasheets or at least valid signal descriptions for uPD series chips used in Matsushita (Panasonic) camcorders, vcrs, etc.?

Currently I am seeking data on the uPD9313G or uPD9313GB video sync generator; the pin descriptions for this part, on a schematic in a camcorder service manual, are incorrect, as evidenced by a block diagram which labels the pins entirely differently (and also by common sense).

The chip is totally unlike the LM1882 or 74ACT715 parts for which data is available.

This particular manual contains no descriptions of operation of the device and many pins connect to downstream proprietary devices so deducing their function in context is unlikely. If one is to believe the pin labeling in the block diagram however, a small number of pins have standard outputs like Vertical and Horizontal Drive, Blanking, Composite Sync, Clamp Pulse, but other abbreviations are cryptic and to me unfamiliar. Scoping other output pins could yield clues, but the inputs and programming pins are the mystery.

Unless this chip was produced for just one model of camcorder, it will have some standard functions and inputs; I hope to learn how to genlock it.

Michael

Reply to
msg

Well, if the PN starts with uPD or muPD they're NEC parts, for what that's worth. How old is this piece of equipment?

Reply to
larwe

Do people actually genlock VTR's by servoing them to external sync?

I thought it was done using a time base corrector - which basically captures and re-creates the signal. But I could be wrong.

I'm not sure how much luck you will have unless some model in the product line had this capability. Even if the timing of the video is unrelated to the tape transport, this doesn't necessarily mean that you have a means to reset the clock dividers to match something external, or to keep it locked.

Conceptually speaking, if you had all the data sheets for a VGA card, how would you genlock that? Replacing the clock generator with an FPGA?

Reply to
cs_posting

Hi Lewin; thanks for your reply.

The machine is from 1987/88. I am reusing just the camera head, which has rather impressive specs and can easily be used independently of the main chassis and vcr deck, with a little wiring and glue logic.

Every chip that isn't a gate array in this machine has been assigned a (mu)PD number, which suggests to me some intention of standardization, but I may be dreaming.

Ergo, if NEC parts, can anyone lay hands on documents that may describe my Sync Gen chip?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Sure, all the time, but in my case I am only interested in the camera section, which has the master timing generator in it.

Yes, for devices that can't be synced, that is a solution. But for multiple cameras, the preferred approach is to genlock them.

Michael

Reply to
msg

Wishful thinking, more like. I would say the appliance is based on a reference design from NEC and hence the plethora of NEC parts; they're all part of a single chipset. In fact I'd say the single-vendor approach indicates more likely a /lack/ of standardization - it was easier to get an all-NEC design working than to hybridize it :)

Reply to
larwe

I had not understood you were trying to use the camera and not the tape transport.

Was not aware that there are servo'd tape transports but I suppose it's possible.

Also probably somewhat moot in the case of digital tape since the the output signal has to be synthesized anyway; the tape just needs to move at the speed to keep the read buffer between high and low watermarks.

Reply to
cs_posting