Panasonic Plasma TV TH-46PZ85U shut down problem - help needed

Folks I need your help once again. I have the above mentioned TV that shuts down about a second after power up. Get two blinks on the power LED. This is 15V(P) DET code. When the set is plugged in, the 15V powers up at 15.8V, then the relay clicks, voltage drops to zero. Power set up, read 15.8V on supply at test point 7, then set shuts down within a second or so.

The service manual says to check the D board for this error code. I have checked pretty much all components associated with the 15V supply on the power board, and found nothing wrong. My question is, is the set shutting down due to over voltage of 15.8V? This info isn't listed in the manual I have. I pulled the D board and checked a couple of resistors at the panel MICOM IC where the 15V is supplied, where I believe the error is being detected. Nothing found wrong. I can't check voltages on the D board since you can't access it without removing another board from the chassis (A board I think), which won't allow set to power up.

I hate to trash this one, and am willing to replace a board, but hope someone in this group familiar with plasma's or Panasonic can give me some pointers of what/where to check. What do the pro's do to find this kind of problems? I am not a pro repair person, but have been working on TV's as a hobby for about 7 years. Much thanks to all. Best regards.

Reply to
stokesbr

Most shops use an ESR meter and check the electrolytic capacitors for ones that are failing. You can sometimes tell by looking at the top of the capacitor to see if it is a suspect - the plastic film won't cover as much of the top as its neighbours or you will see a ring where the film used to be. This cap should be replaced...

ESR meters are available from many sources.

I've been recommending (and selling) the (now Blue) Bob Parker (made by Anatek) ESR kit for over ten years...

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I've fixed a few plasma TVs, but haven't had the opportunity to work on Panasonics. There are a couple of resources I can recommend, however. Service manuals are available at Elektrotanya -

There are a number of people with Panasonic plasma experience the badcaps.net TV troubleshooting forum.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

Thanks for the response. I have checked the PS caps, but will check the resource you listed.

Reply to
stokesbr