Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20 Long Time to Initialize

Hi,

Note: I did electronic service work for many years. Note: This DVD recorder doesn't use a computer. It has AV inputs and outputs plus a built in TV type tuner.

My Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20, when plugged in (AC) takes a long time to initialize (rolling "o"s) before the flashing "12:00A" appears. Also, when I turn it on, "Hello" is on for a while (3 to 5 minutes) before I can use the recorder.

I checked every electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, plus some others (ESR and capacitance test). I replaced a few that were in early stages of going bad, but that did not fix the problem.

Has anyone fixed this problem (same model with same issue)?

Thank You in advance, John

Reply to
jaugustine

I never did that !

But it looks like the memory saving battery dead.

Reply to
Look165

Look165,

Obviously you have not fixed this problem on this model because there is NO "memory saving battery" in this unit.

I'LL REPEAT MY QUESTION:

Has anyone fixed this problem (same model with same issue)?

Thank You in advance, John

Reply to
jaugustine

I do not have the same unit but a similar experience with a simple LG DVD player: The player frequently hangs before getting to HELLO, requiring that I unplug and replug the unit. I inserted a DVD in the tray and now it initializes fine. My "guess" is that the CPU looks for a DVD in the tray and, not getting the expected feedback, hangs. This is probably a mechanical issue with the DVD mechanism but I was satisfied with leaving a DVD in the tray to get to HELLO.

Reply to
John Keiser

I suppose we could see software issues, since these are computers.

My blu-ray player can every so often get confused, I don't know if it's consistent, but if I press the open button at the wrong time, something seems to jam, and I can't turn it off or do anything, until I unplug it from the line.

I haven't updated it since I found it, I think there might be an update, so who knows if it's a software issue that's already been found.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black