pana 27" takes an hour to warm up

I've got a circa 97/98 panasonic ct27g3. The picture is acting up since Friday. When i first turn it on I get picture and sound for five minutes or so, then the picture goes black, but still have audio. After about an hour the picture comes back on and stays on. I am not considering trying to work on this myself. Is this something that is worthwhile to have fixed? I'd hate to spend the money on an estimate and be told the set's not worth repairing. There seem to be some good tv sales going on... thanks

Reply to
joaquino

These types of faults occur from components becoming thermo sensitive with age. You will have to bring the set to an experienced TV tech to have it properly and safely serviced. The main cost would be for the labour, more so than the parts. This is something an end user would not be able to fix at home himself, unless properly trained, and experienced in doing this type of work.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

The info you're looking for is whether it's worth repair, and the answer is "probably yes". If the picture looks good when it is working, then the picture tube is good. Since it works sometimes, then the flyback (high voltage transformer) and horizontal output are good. Those can be expensive parts. Chances are the fault is with less expensive parts like capacitors in the power supply. Or it could possibly be loose solder connections which expand and contract as the set warms up. Maybe even in the veritcal section, causing the TV to automatically blank out the picture to protect the picture tube from burning. You should find out the repair shop's standard labor charge, add maybe $20 for part, plus sales tax, and that's around what you should pay to get it repaired. Try to find a repair shop on the recommendation of a satisfied customer. Most shops are honest, but going to one with a good reputation will help you not get burned by a possibly dishonest shop.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver