Acer Monitor 77e Slow To Warm Up

I leave my Acer 77e on all the time. Ocassionally when the PC wakes up in the morning, the screen remains dark and fuzzy for 15 minutes or so and then gradually becomes perfect. This may happen once a month or less. Usually all is OK afterwards but yesterday the dark/fuzzy condition wuld recur after any hibernation. Its OK this morning. I expect I'll have an impossible task in trying to find the weak/failing component [capacitor?] since the condition is intermittent. I've read Goldwasser's FAQ's I have a schematic. Any better clues for this model? Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

The most common cause for what you are describing is that the picture tube (CRT) is getting weak. The best you can do, is to measure the bias volts at the CRT socket, and use an HV probe to verify that the anode voltage is correct. You will need a DVM with a high voltage probe to do this test. You will also need the service manual to have the voltage information.

Take care, that there are serious safety issues when working in monitors. If you are not experienced at TV and monitor service, you would be best off taking the monitor for a proper estimate, and having it professionaly serviced.

As for the type of monitor you have, in advance, I would say that the best feasiblity would be to retire it, and get a new one.

Jerry G. ======

John Keiser wrote:

Reply to
Jerry G.

Jerry is correct. Also the reason why the CRT is now showing premature age / warmup is because you leave it on all the time. The CRT is kept 'warm' all this time with voltage on the heating element so that you dont have to experience the gradual lighting of the screen as if you applied power normally.

Reply to
default

I had the same problem with a 17" PC monitor, the fix was to remove the crt socket and clean the socket and crt pins. Seems like there was a darkish oxide on the pins/socket causing the heater voltage to drop enough to give a soft, fuzzy pix. I guess enough current thru the pins eventually cleared up the problem, because when the picture was normal, it was perfect. An aging crt never looks really good - so I would try this first. Be sure to be careful because the focus voltage also goes thru this connector and it will knock you on your ass - don't ask me how I know ! regards, Tom

Reply to
t.hoehler

The monitor is 6 years old so I've gotten good use from it. But the picture is brilliant [usually] and I get no joy in just tossing stuff. [Andy Cuffe, a contributor here, once helped me find and repair a fried HV ceramic cap in a broken 21 inch Sony monitor. A good experience in patience.]

I'm in Hawaii and you remind me that the excessive humidity can attack the CRT sockets. Had the same issue a few years ago on a different device. I had forgotten. Very rainy/humid recently. I cleaned the socket [might have been a bit dirty] and will see what happens. For now, seems fine.

Thank you all for your advice.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to