PalmM505: Fried during Power blackout

Hi,

My palm M505 was fried during a power blackout. Was told by Palm the repair costs is RM380.

And advise for self repairing the palm. Thanks.

Reply to
jiunshyong

Your Palm uses all SMD technology, including embedded devices in to the circuit board. They don't do very much service at the board level. They change the circuit board that is defective. There are only a few types of components that they would change on the circuit board. After servicing, they do any required calibration and updating of its firmware. As for you to buy any parts for you Palm, they are proprietary. Palm will not sell service parts to an unauthorised service person. This is the same for all of these manufactures.

--

JANA
_____

 wrote in message
Hi,

My palm M505 was fried during a power blackout.  Was told by Palm the
repair costs is RM380.

And advise for self repairing the palm.  Thanks.
Reply to
JANA

at RM380 or US$100 for the repair job, I might as well buy a new Palm Zire 38 costing around RM500 US$131. plus the new Zire has MP3 playback which my M505 lacks.

Thanks

Reply to
jiunshyong

What's your definition of "fried"? Like french fries? or onion rings? or maybe fried rice?

Point being that a more precise description of the problem and the steps you've taken to remedy it would guide people who might help you.

Assume you've tried to reset it? The power supply is the most likely item to "fry" from a power glitch, but we can't tell if you've ruled that out.

If all else fails, you've got nothing to lose. Remove the screws in the back and disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Probably won't help, but you've got nothing to lose. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

I think that's what JANA was saying between the lines.

--
Rkaru
"Heh...heh..."

Wah, rkaru. You have become an expert in SCRUtinizing between the legs ... ooops .... I mean, between the lines. I see that your sessions with fareeza has paid dividends. Warghahaha!

-dave chiew

Reply to
dave chiew

Good suggestion. Before you do that check the output voltage of the charger. The Motorola switching ones sold with that series are very easy to "fry".

You don't need an official Palm one as long as the polarity and and voltage (5 volts) is correct. I was able to replace one with the power supply for a USB hub that cost far less than a new Palm brand charger.

Another thing to do is while the battery is disconected, put it back on the charger and see if it boots. A bad battery will prevent that series from turning on in the charger.

Unless you are 100% dependent upon the data in the Palm (no backup or hotsync), You could try pressing the reset button with a paper clip and then holding down the power button. If you see a "Powered by Palm" message and the Palm logo on the screen, then it should be ok. When you let go of the power button, you will be offered a choice of erasing all memory or not.

If you don't need the data, select yes.

Batteries can be purchased complete with a screwdriver set for under $10 from eBay. Note that they are fastened to the screen with double sided tape and need to be carefully pried up. I use a "case cracking" that was part of a set of "cellphone tools". It also helps to open the Palms.

Remove the screws with a T5 (torx) screwdriver. Do not use any other size, or try to force it with a different type of screwdriver. If you do, you will end up with stripped screw heads. The only way to open them then is to take a Dremel tool and CAREFULLY cut a slot in the head of the screw so that you can open it with a slotted screwdriver. A very tricky procedure.

Start near the SD card socket on the top and carefully seperate the top from the bottom. A fingernail will do if you don't have the correct tool. The top will seperate with a loud "crack".

If you have any more questions, you will get a faster answer if you email me.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

I did the reset part with advice from palm support but still could not power on my palm. just nothing happens. when charging, the on/off button will emit greenish light (just like normal charging) but when uncradle, the palm will emit a soft weak greenish light from the on/off button. nothing happens When the on/off button is pressed. And there is no more the beep sound when one cradles/uncradles the palm.

opening up the palm for changing with a new battery?

thanks for your advise.

Reply to
=?UTF-8?B?5LiD5bCR54i3U2V2ZW50

There definately is a problem with the charging circuit. The m505 and m515 use a lithium ion battery which has some circuity in it so it is possible that replacing the battery will fix it.

Open it up and check for corrosion. If you find any, remove it with a toothbrush. Be careful, the fluid inside a lithium ion battery is very corosive. If it looks like the battery leaked (not likely, but possible), carefully remove it, wrap it in plastic and dispose of it.

Unplug the battery and place it back on the cradle. If it turns on, it's worth replacing the battery, It's not 100% that this will fix it, but it's well worth a shot. If nothing happens, you need a new logic board.

The best way to get one is from another m505 with a broken screen. The logic board has two connectors on it. The screen connector just pops in and out, with the unit open you cannot miss it. The battery connector is the other one. It slides in and out of a socket on the logic board.

Yes. the m500's (m505 and m515) will work on the cradle without a battery in them. This is a good way to determine if the battery is causing a problem.

You're welcome, good luck.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Want to elimnate amateur (ham) radio? Use Google.
eHam.net supports Google and therefore BPL.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

took out the battery and did the cradle power on without battery. Still could not on the palm but the greenish light is on. poke the reset hole but still no response.

Thanks for ur advise.