out of circuit test for transistors

I was working on a couple of battery powered flourescent lights. I don't know the make / model number because i had to peel the label off to get at the circuit, which consisted of one transistor (S8040 npn) , a transformer and a few r's and c's. In the first unit , the transistor was open b-e, so i replaced it with a BFY50, and the light worked. In the second unit, the transistor tested OK (out of circuit) so i resolered it and the light still didnt work. Replacing the S8050 fixed the problem. Presumably the transistor was breaking down at the battery voltage (6v). My question is, are there more effective ways of testing transtors that will pick up faulty ones that test OK with an out of circuit DMM diode test? Or are there DMMs out there that will detect this kind of fault with a higher test voltage?

PS. I just tested the s8050 with my old Beckman meter which used a higher test voltage (because i can test LEDs with that one), and it indicated a Vb-e drop of over 1v so i have just answered my own question. I suppose i need a better DMM.

cheers Neil.

Reply to
neil

A DMM isn't much good for this sort of testing. Trying in circuit is usually the only way.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

There is no general-purpose, out-of-circuit transistor tester that is always reliable, perhaps short of a curve tracer. With a curve tracer, one can sweep Vce over the working range and choose the base current steps and view the collector family of characteristic curves. But, curve tracers also have a few limitations (e.g. high-frequency devices). In-circuit testing requires some knowledge, but is mostly the best way to go

Reply to
Charles Schuler