OT: proper pc packaging for shipment?

Please forgive the OT post, but this sort of relates to the group. I have a couple of Dell PC's I'd like to sell, but I am a bit concerned about shipping them and I am requesting suggestions for proper packaging. A couple of years ago, I purchased these same units off of Ebay, each from different sellers, and both arrived with minor damage that obviously happened in transit- in one case the CPU cooler/ fan had come unlocked and in the other several of the PCI cards had come out of their sockets with one damaged as it jumped around within the PC during transit. I don't want this or anything else to happen if I sell them. How should I package them so no damage occurs?

Thanks in advance, Lo

Reply to
Lo Lees

Shipping something like this is very risky, the odds you'll be happy are remote.

Sell locally.

Reply to
PeterD

You need to double-box them, with plenty of space and padding around the inner box.

The computer can fit into the inner box tightly, with little or no padding.

I did this a few years back with some classic KLH equipment, and it got to Europe safely.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

one

this

no

one of my tips

Packing fragile items for the postal system. As well as bubble-wrap inside cardboard boxes consider the following. Save pint or 2 pint plastic blow-moulded milk cartons and use like Storopack. Clean out and dry with cap off. Replace the cap and use as packing inside a larger cardboard box than you would otherwise use. One on each face acts like car air bags or even Martian lander. Perhaps part fill each bottle with polystyrene chips in case the bottle bursts in a heavy bump. If the gap is too small then release cap and squash a bit before replacing cap. Tape in place around previously bubble-wrapped item. I sent an old bakelite cased meter to Italy using this technique. It already had a known crack in the casing and didn't worsen in the journey - which is some testament for the technique.

N_Cook

The general idea is to put as much space between the PC and the sides of the box. It's not unusual for me to receive a new PC with perhaps

6" or more of air, foam, styrofoam peanuts, bubble pack, shredded newsprint, cardboard, or anything soft between the case and *ALL* the box sides. It's going to get kicked in during shipping and that distance is your main protection.

There are also various grades of fiberboard:

Got a heavy duty box with the heaviest fiberboard you can afford.

250lb double wall is nice.

When I ship something, I like to use the original box the machine arrived inside. I save many shipping boxes for common machines. However, the space is becoming more expensive than just buying a new box, so I'm doing less of this.

There are vendors that sell computer specific packaging:

As a simple test, when you have it all boxed and taped, balance the box on a corner. If the corner caves in under the weight of the box, the box collapses, and the tape tears off, it's not going to arrive in one piece. Many vendors will cringe at this test, but it was suggested by professional shipping company and seems to work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Its always a good idea to make sure the screws or card securing hardware is in place before shipping to stop the PCI/PCI-e cards from coming out of the sockets.

Good Luck

Reply to
Gus

I fill a bag with foam peanuts & wedge it tightly in the chassis to prevent heatsinks & cards from popping loose. You need a tight fit to really fill in the gaps. Don't forget to tell the buyer to remove the bag before firing it up!

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter